Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone biked into Luib Chonnal bothy?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looking at options for what’s become an annual bothy trip with a couple of lads from work, we’ve done Meannach & Camban (twice).
    I’ve done a loop from Laggan Hostel to Ft Augustus, over the Corrieyairack to Inveroy/Spean Bridge/Loch Oich, but can’t remember Luib Chonnal. We did that loop in a day but that was when I was a bit fitter. Luib Chonnal looks like half way round. What’s the Corrieyairack like now & is the track/path from Melgarve to Luib Chonnal rideable (ish)?

duckman

Stalking starts in the next couple of weeks, I remember the area as being boggy.

scotroutes

Sorry Jim, not one I’m familiar with.

If you are doing the Corrieyairack, Laggan to FA is the best direction.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stalking starts in the next couple of weeks, I remember the area as being boggy.

I know, I need to check with the estate before we go. Unfortunately there’s not that many bothies which are good for a 2 day ride that aren’t in stalking zones!
    (which also have a convenient base to start & finish from)

If you are doing the Corrieyairack, Laggan to FA is the best direction.

Is the zig zag track washed out?

Davesport

I’ve recently ridden into Luib Chonnal through Glen Roy. Very straightforward ride in apart from the last 400 metres or so. The path disappears and the ground turns slightly boggy. I got there easily without my feet getting wet. Bothy was nice and dry and looked inviting. On a previous ride I gone on a bit further but had to turn back as there a burn in spate that I didn’t fancy crossing.

In the last week I’ve ridden in from the Garva Bridge side. Melgarve bothy is on the start of the ascent up the Corrieyairack Pass. Nice clean Bothy maintained by the MBA. Two good sleeping rooms upstairs. We did the climb up to the top of the Corry Pass then rode back down the same way. Straightforward climb up the wee concrete blockhouse at the top.

I’ve not ridden the short section between Melgarve & Luib Chonnal but it looks pretty easy with a water crossing and some boggy sections.

Beautiful area littered with alluvial fans and glacial debris.

D.

krixmeister

I’ve ridden the full loop you describe a couple of times. Here’s a Strava route I created for the FA->Corrieyarrick->Spean Bridge->FA loop:

Basically what Davesport says – lovely area. You go right past Loch Spey, the source of water for so many whiskies. Melgarve to Shesgnan (previously a ruin, now done up as a small hunting lodge?) path is great, but from Shesgnan to Loch Spey – although the OS shows a path there, I’ve yet to find it. You just have to hike-a-bike across. It’s OK in dry, but could be a total bog outside of summer. Loch Spey to Luib Chonnal does have a path, but definitely wet and rough – mostly, but not fully, rideable.

Davesport

Depending how far you want to travel a nice route could be made from the railway station at Dalwhinne, down the side of Loch Ericht turning right at Ben Alder Lodge and round to Loch Pattack. (Culra Bothy is closed due to asbestos and Blackburn of Pattack no longer exists) From Loch Pattack it’s a nice run out along the Pattack river out through the Ardverikie Estate onto the A86. From there it’s a short road cycle to the track opposite Laggan Wolftrax onto Wade’s Road that leads along to Melgarve. From there you could either follow Krixmeisters route over the Corry Pass and back to the Ardverikie Estate…or go left at Melgarve and follow the route along to Luib Chonnal emerging at the head of Glen Roy.

D.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Krix & Dave.
    Krix, that is the exact loop we did in 1997 but I can’t for the life of me even remember passing Luib Chonnal! We did it in a day & I remember being ‘quite tired’ at the end. 2 days would be a doddle.
    Dave, I’ve done the ‘Tour de Ben Alder’ from Dalwhinnie & the Ardverickie loop from Loch Laggan but will look at taking in the other bits you mentioned.
    Any more ideas for this jaunt, bearing in mind that 2 of the lads are fit as lops but not actual MTBers (not that it matters)
    We need a base/hostel/pub to start & finish (NOT camping), about 25-30 miles 1st day & a bit less on the 2nd depending on the terrain. Camban was spot on but we’ve done it twice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone biked into Luib Chonnal bothy?’ is closed to new replies.