• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by G.R.F.-spam.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone been to Tignes?
  • godzilla
    Free Member

I have the chance to go to Tignes with my bike in July, can anyone tell me if its any good?
    I Would prefer Morzine, but it not my trip im just tagging along.
    Any info would be ace.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have the Rowan Sorrell guide to MTBing Europe but I’m at work and it’s at home. I’ll have a look tonight and re-post! hopefully there’ll be something useful, although I haven’t been myself.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i rode there with steveo from the white room it was good fun. I think the trails might have been marked??

bazzer
    Free Member

Yep I have rode there, not as extensive as Morzine etc but still good fun. There are marked trails.

If you have been there in the winter and know the lifts, the trails run off the Palafour chair and the Aeroski bubble.

I think Val D’Isere might be doing a bit of biking this year too as they had some signs up at the end of the season. Though I might be talking rubbish about that 🙂

Bazzer

godzilla
    Free Member

Im 100% going now, yippee..

swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve been to Tignes a couple of times, you’ll soon get bored of the DH runs but there’s lots of off piste trails to be found over the back and to the right. Also rode Val D’Isere last year but was a bit dull.

If i were you though i’d ride down to Les Arcs, best of the bunch by far imho.

Have fun

bungie
    Free Member

Skied there loads of times when the trails are covered in snow (obviously), but just came back from skiing there over Easter when the snow was melting fast and revealing loads of piste side trails. Looked absolutely mint for a trail rider, not so sure about full on down hill though, and the resorts are a bit naff for night life, even in winter. Have a good one though!

bazzer
    Free Member

Was also going to suggest getting down to Bourg St Maurice and getting the Funi upto Les Arc. Some great riding there IMHO better than Tignes.

Bazzer

godzilla
    Free Member

were driving so i will offer the idea up. whats the funi?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The Rowan Sorrell book says it’s good as it’s close to Les Arcs and Pila. Pila is supposed to have some phenomenal 8k descent or something. It describes the trails as wide and rocky, and there is a relatively new bike park there. Looks quite good mind.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

funi=funicular=train that runs between Bourg and Arc1600

DezB
    Free Member

Drove past it on the way back from Val D’Isere couple of weeks ago and there’s a big sign advertising it as a biking destination.
    Would love to go there!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Some of the trails on the opposite side of the valley from the DH track are pretty good. There is a nice little traverse back down to the lake.

godzilla
    Free Member

Ace thanks guys, i realy looking forward to it..

steveh

Pila is a 13k descent, 1700m vertical and the best trail in the world ever. I believe I have to say fact now to make this true. FACT.

Tignes is pretty fun as well, free lift passes this year I was told too (well €3 for your card).

godzilla
    Free Member

FREE! now you talking my language (yorkshire) where did you hear this gem?

Gary_C

The views at Tignes aren’t much

😉

godzilla
    Free Member

^Wow!^

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, views aren’t bad..

swisstony
    Free Member

yeah the lifts were free in Tignes last year, 5 euros for the card which you got back, oh and Pila is well worth the visit, about an hour and a halves drive into Italy and good to bag another country. Aosta is a really cool town with great food for apres riding.

There’s also a great all day ride from Col d’Iseran down to Bourg which is a must if you like that sort of thing, Trailaddiction call it heidi and it’s pretty obvious to find on the map

http://www.trailaddiction.com/backcountrydaytrips.php

stevomcd
    Free Member

Tignes has some really good riding. Most of the marked stuff is DH-lite / freeride kind of stuff (think bermy and jumpy rather than World-Cup DH courses). There is also some good waymarked singletrack (Wonderboisses is a really cool trail – see ChunkyMTB’s photo). The bike-park has been around for a quite a few years, but they’re adding new bits all the time.

You could easily ride all the DH stuff in a day, but it would be a fun day!

Passes are indeed free – sponsored by Canyon. You have to pay 5€ for the card, but you get it back when you return the card.

Gary_C

There’s also a great all day ride from Col d’Iseran down to Bourg which is a must if you like that sort of thing, Trailaddiction call it heidi and it’s pretty obvious to find on the map

That’s the ride that i’m on in the pic above.

🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

have a word with SteveO from the White Room to see if you can join them for some guiding one day. There’s loads around there. I loved the “Beer Run” fast furious and finishes at the bar. If you’re quick you can ride it, have abeer, and catch the bus back up for another hammering.

We rode from Tignes back to saint Foy, nearly all off road. Quality day out that was.

Also Les Arcs ain’t far either.

If I were you I’d head for Sainte Foy and use their van uplift service.

We found it much nicer riding than Morzine too.

ash

H.E.I.D.I.?
    Pfff, you want to ride H.E.I.D.I.Plus

godzilla
    Free Member

Lust pics.

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve ridden most resorts in the Alps and would rate Tignes as the 2nd worst. If you have a car you MUST ride Les Arcs, ask trail addiction for a days guiding.

Day trip La Thuile (about 1hr drive) for the BEST man made singletrack possibly in all the alps and Pila (2hrs drive) http://vimeo.com/14265264

godzilla
    Free Member

How far from Tignes from Les Arc?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Tignes?’ is closed to new replies.