Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone been to the Dolomites with their bike?
  • BigR

Looking for somewhere interesting for 4/5 days in the Autumn. The Dolomites look good but although there seem to be plenty of routes I am struggling to find any clear info.

Anyone been there on their own or with a company?

thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

took a bike there on a trip but didn’t ride much.

lovely area but bloody steep. lots of mountain hostels IIRC

Diane
    Free Member

No but I have a little booklet I can send you of Val di Sole for mtb – stunning area (E mail in profile)
    Take it you mean mtb. Think the world cup DH track is at Commezzadura – Val di Sole 😀

hels
    Free Member

Nice part of the world, esp if you like ham and cheese fondue.

I did a road race out there hundreds of years ago. Very very very hilly, not many flats bits. Really big on the Via Ferrata climbing things really wished I’d tried it out as gimp hand means I can’t now boo hoo.

MrFart
    Free Member

Been touring through the region before – stunningly beutiful area.

Most villages have an MTB circuit, abeit XC orientated.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

It’s a great area for biking especially out of the main summer tourist season – with the added benefit of super food! I’ve done quite a bit of biking there, although mostly 3/4 day trips on the road bike. I did a lovely 2 day mtb trip on Seiseralm – I can tell you more details if you want. Will you have a car (the trains are pretty good, you just need to be more organised)? And overnight trips here are really easy because to stay in a mountain hut you just need a hut sleeping bag (a liner really) and you can pick up all your food and drink at a reasonable price there.

Otherwise the links I know are just in German:
    South Tirol routes

Mountainbike Dolomiten (although it’s a book)

london_lady
    Free Member

We are going out to Corvara for the Maratona at the end June/beginning July. The maps show plenty of routes for off-road riding but I am not sure about exactly which trails you can but here are a couple of links for you.
    http://dolomitesport.com/mountain-biking/
    http://www.dolomites.org/en/activity-country/mountain-biking-dolomites.asp

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m doing the Maratona too 8)

Getting there isn’t as straightforward (or cheap) as the Geneva/Morzine route – I’m flying to Venice then hire-car to Corvara. Supposed to be a great area though.

ATGANI
    Free Member

A great place to ride, stunning scenery and great riding.
    http://www.gardenrelais.it
    I stayed here, they were very friendly and helpfull.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got my bike on trains there OK, went via Venice.

BigR

Thanks for all the replies, working my way through the links at the mo. Looking at the tours/trails on sites like Dolomiti and the Tirol trails I am surprised at the asphalt/singletrack ratio which looks poor. There is another classification of gravel which I presume is like a Landrover track.
    If anyone has been is there plenty of easy to find singletrack or do you need a guide?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to the Dolomites with their bike?’ is closed to new replies.