Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • anyone been to scottish ski centres at the weekend lately?
  • scotabroad

I usually avoid them at the weekend due to queues but with all this snow I am sorely tempted to take the kids up but dont want to spend most of my time in queues!!

Any thoughts folks? Glen shee/ Glen Coe are the closest for me..

thegreatape
    Free Member
    waveydavey
    Free Member

Probably not closet to you, but was at the Lecht last weekend.
    Loads of snow, bright sunshine and most importantly no queues.

kennyp
    Free Member

I was thinking of going to Glenshee tomorrow but it's stormbound just now.

luked2
    Free Member

So the real question is, is it realistic to go for a weekend's skiing in Scotland with the kids, starting out from Cambridgeshire?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I was at Cairngorm last Sunday and it wasnt too busy at all. However the funicular broke after lunch and it then got to be a pain in the ass as everyone was on the tows!

the_lecht_rocks

lecht for me.
    epic conditions and tomorrow could be AWESOME if the roads open and the sun appears 🙂

bruk

How busy will The Lecht be on monday? I have sun/mon/tues off and was contemplating a road trip to visit my sis and poss get a day on the hill whilst up.

Never boarded back home so which resort is best of Glenshee/aviemore/lecht?

singletrackmind

My Bro is at Glencoe now. He drove up to Perth last night. but had to wait till midday when the resort opened. He texted me to say the amount of snow was 'mental'. He cant ski for toffee, so any powder is totally waisted on him. Think 'Horace goes skiing' ZX Spectrum 1985 and you will be about there.
    Did you like wot I did with wasted ^^

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've just come back from 4 days in Glencoe. I think nevis ski range is currently closed, but they're bashing piste as fast a possible for the weekend.

tandemwarriors

singletrackmind,
    my daughter is trying to decide if it's worth the 2 hour drive to Glencoe tomorrow for a days boarding.
    Does your brother's description of 'mental' equal
    'its open and well worth coming'
    or does it mean
    'there's too much snow and it's poo'?

Thanks,
    Rob

the_lecht_rocks

never is there ever enough pow……….tomorrow promises EPIC 🙂

singletrackmind

Tandemwarriors. I spoke to him this evening. The wind had blown the freash pow into 2 -3ft deep drifts. The raods were open and passable with care. None of the pistes were 'pisted' so the whole area was powder.
    Potentially awesome if the wind drops and the sun comes out.

tandemwarriors

singletrackmind,
    much appreciated. One very excited daughter off to set her board up for powder! Forecast for tomorrow is looking pretty good too.
    Thanks very much.

Rob

tandemwarriors

A wee update incase anyone else was reading this. Just had a text from daughter who's just arrived at Glencoe. It's open and accessable and she's just off up the lift.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

[envy]

jimmy

So the real question is, is it realistic to go for a weekend's skiing in Scotland with the kids, starting out from Cambridgeshire?

Better flying from STansted to the Alps in that time…

Last weekend at Aviemore was genuinely awesome – cloud free, sunny blue skies, temperatures way below 0c, fresh loose powder everywhere… But there must be a week's worth of those conditions in a whole Scottish season. This weekend its fresh snow but blizzards & storms… This winter has been amazing for those lucky enough to live within, say 3 – 4 hours drive but I wouldn't drive the 9 hours or whatever from Cambridge for it. It is still only the wee slopes of Scottish skiing and if you've ski'd in the Alps at all the novelty of it will wear off in the first queue.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘anyone been to scottish ski centres at the weekend lately?’ is closed to new replies.