Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • anyone been to Butlin's recently?
  • sefton
    Free Member

my wife said someone said it’s really improved recently and there’s a great offer on for june.

We’d be taking our 4 year old daughter.

not been since a kid (and I can recall it being a bit rough then)!

I think its Skegness btw.

we went to Centre parks last year which was good, but the cost is just crazy.

no doubt my daughter will love it but I cant fight or hold my beer 😳

they are gold apartments btw (hopefully no fag burns on the loo and no plastic mattresses)

http://www.butlins.com/resorts/skegness/

wombat

Never been but Mrs Wombat had a summer job when she was at Uni working there as the guard on the miniature road train (was nearly 20 years ago though) 8)

TheFlyingOx

My sis went to the Skeggy one between Christmas and NYE just gone, and she said it was like the Seventh Circle Of Hell. Depends what you’re after, I suppose.

sefton
    Free Member

a cheapish break that my daughter will enjoy.

I’m just worried about getting head butted or eating fried crap for 3 nights!

s
    Free Member

We have done Skeggy and Minhead in the past, the Hotels onsite are very good, not so keen on the normal accommodation mind.

Great for kids, if you like none stop noise and activity, my two loved it, but the adults in the party always come away feeling like they need a chill out break afterwards 😉

If you can ignore some of the people who go and rise above all that & after a good time for your kids, you have to try it once 😉

[edit] we got a deal on the Shoreline Hotel which did not work out too expensive in the end.

Saccades
    Free Member

About 5 years ago to the rhyl? one.

It’s grand – rooms are a bit plain but clean and quite well thought out.

We went to the indian restaurant twice because the food in there was so good.

It’s geared up for kids, lots of entertainment aimed at them with a bit of double meaning for the adults, the late night shows which are adult only are also decent, cetainly above general pub standard entertainment (bigger budget items reused I guess).

There are quite a few MaccyD type places too but you don’t have to eat at them.

We let the kids have an ace time each day, then put the kids to bed and spent the evenings having a coupla beers out the front of the chalet thing watching the world go by, it was really enjoyable and nice way to relax.

It’s more weather dependant than spain though – oh and there are lots of vending machines and the like so either take cash or be well supplied with drinks and sweets through the day to save your cash a bit more.

flip
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs are going on an adult weekend at Minehead in May…

Went on one a couple of years ago, it’s a real eye opener.

jota180
    Free Member

We ended up going [Minehead] for a long weekend last year so that the youngest one could do a football coaching thing

anyway, as said – you want the hotel not the flats or chalets
    One night was enough for me to flash the plastic for an upgrade
    Take the best dining offer too, the food may all come from the same kitchen but a lot of the diners in the cheap seats seem to be straight from a ‘fly on the wall’ police documentary.

Entertainment and bars were decent

kayak23

Hmmmm….a short break in a Crack Den…
    No thanks.

binners

Me and the Mrs are going on an adult weekend at Minehead in May

😯

jota180
    Free Member

Hmmmm….a short break in a Crack Den…
    No thanks.

I was actually meaning the police officers 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

bloody hell your really selling it to me.

heard they do a all you can drink offer? 😆

jota180
    Free Member

bloody hell your really selling it to me.

TBH – I quite enjoyed it – the missus less so

She had the chef come out so that she could explain to him how to cook pasta – she’s Italian and gets a bit Bolshi about pasta sometimes 🙂

binners

All you can drink offer? More cooking lager than you can shake a stick at! They’ll only serve you if you’ve got a footy top on though. It makes the selection of who to have a fight with so much easier 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

jesus I’ll have to get a football shirt too 😯

I went to Butlins when I was about 13 – it was the first time I tried a cigarette and I also stole a keyring 😳

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What’s this ‘adult weekend’ Flip? We need more info, please.

binners

I’ve just had a look. The Bay City Rollers are on at Minehead soon. And Anita Doth from 2 Unlimited will be appearing at Skegness

sefton
    Free Member

sounds like a cracking line up, that no no no limit song will defo get everyone fired up for a fight! 😈

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got my credit card at the ready. Half of 2 Unlimited, you say?

sefton
    Free Member

half of 2 unlimited! bloody hell…come on Butlin’s 🙄

restless
    Free Member

I take my kids to Butlins Skegness every Easter school hols and they love it.
    Thats why you are going, for the kids benefit, not really yours.

I have never seen a fight and in the school hols it certainly isn’t a cheap break either.
    Of course there is alcohol on sale, but you dont have to drink it.

It’s one of those places that has a bad reputation based on how it used to be, rather than how it is now, but imo it has improved a lot over the years.

flip
    Free Member

What’s this ‘adult weekend’ Flip? We need more info, please.

http://www.bigweekends.com/

We go for the music, but you have to take it for what it is eg. stag and hen dos and plenty debauchery and shagging as adult get cut loose without their kids.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I’ve been, but only to attend ATP (All Tomorrow’s Parties) and there aren’t any err…’normal’ people there whilst those are on.

It’s always amusing observing the workers looking perplexed at the sight of thousands of scrawny bearded men (and a few girls in spectacles) watching the likes of Slint and Broken Social Scene, then asking ‘Are these bands famous?’

😆

sefton
    Free Member

well its booked (I’ve no doubts my daughter will love it)!

mrnmissespanda

The family Panda went last year.

The kids really enjoyed it, especially being allowed to wander on their own. In fact they enjoyed it more than centre parcs. The chalet we had was perfectly fine. There is lots for kids to do, but beware some events are expensive for the time you get – i.e. climbing wall was £5 for 10mins. But things like fencing were good fun.

As has been said, go for the kids not yourself. Oh and there is no swimming lengths in the pool, so I ran every morning. It is also good for making you feel thin!

Panda

binners

Which footy top are you going to opt for?

grum
    Free Member

Talking about Butlins on middleclasstrackworld? How very dare you? Terribly common.

sefton
    Free Member

Talking about Butlins on middleclasstrackworld? How very dare you? Terribly common.

like I said I usually go to Centre parks 😳

well it would have to be BWFC (hopefully they’ll feel sorry for me and pick a fight with my wife instead)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘anyone been to Butlin's recently?’ is closed to new replies.