Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone been to Antigua?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looking for somewhere for a relaxing beach holiday, with a little snorkelling, sailing, wakeboarding and rum.

Barbados would have been my first pick, but the prices have gone a bit mental! Went to St Lucia last year, which was, lovely, but not as lovely as Barbados. So, what’s Antigua like?

Feel free to recommend your own favourite tropical paradise. As long as BA fly there! (Airmiles holiday!)

#Firstworldquestion

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Excellent place went there for all the things you mention. Stayed at the Galley Bay on the East coast, this is more sheltered and good for snorkelling. The sailing trip we took went down the west coast for better wind or whatever the nautical term is.

The capital, St Johns is fairly small but has a handful of good restaurants and bars. Pre book a taxi with your hotel for your return in the evening as it can feel a bit dodgy after dark.

There are plenty of trips and sightseeing opportunities and you can take a trip to the other islands nearby. All in all I would really recommend it and would return again tomorrow if funds allowed!

SaxonRider

I used to live in St Kitts and attend meetings in Antigua all the time.

If you can get to a less-frequented island like St Kitts, I would say ‘do it’. But Antigua is great, if less ‘dramatic’ in terms of scenery than some of its neighbouring islands.

You will love it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Stopped off quickly on the ay to necker. Bloody hot. Looked ok.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, all.

Wrecker, Richard sends his regards. 😉

wallop

Twice. Not for beach holidays but on a yacht. Spent lots of time in Jolly Harbour (ok but lacking in atmosphere), English Harbour (great little beach and a short distance from Shirley Heights and the legendary Sunday rum-filled BBQ overlooking Eric Clapton’s gaff :lol:) and Green Island (remote, swimming with turtles).

I’m fairly sure there is a yacht charter place at Falmouth or English Harbour because last time I was there my old sailing friend from Cornwall was out there working for Sunsail.

The sea around the island can be pretty lumpy (I get sick easily) so probably great for wind-based water sports but I don’t remember doing much snorkelling.

The locals are friendly (except for the grumpy ladies in the shops) and it’s sooooooooo laid back. And cheap.

Which are the BA destinations? I wouldn’t discount any island really, as inter-island connections are cheap and plentiful.

theotherjonv

Been twice – once to St James club and once to jolly harbour. My sister moved over there for several years and has an Antiguan husband and daughter, although they’re all now living back in the UK for school.

Antiguans have a reputation among the other islands of being a bit grumpy, but I’ve always enjoyed my trips there, particularly the chance to get off the beaten track and visit some places that aren’t tourist traps. If you do go let me know and I can recommend a few quiet beaches with beach bars that are worth the effort.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks, all.

Wrecker, Richard sends his regards.

Apologies for the clang, he is a very nice chap. Blonder than I’d imagined and very good teeth. Shame I didn’t get to meet holly 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stationery business struggling this year O’Flashearty? Economising?

zippykona

I wouldn’t go back. It wasn’t bad but there are better places. A bit soulless and a place that we never really reminisce about.
    There wasn’t anything to see in the sea. When we went for a drive around the island we couldn’t really see the sea as the beach front was built on.
    We did find a lovely beach which over looked Monserrat, still no fish though. Food was excellent and the aircon actually worked.
    For snorkelling I would recommend Cuba where the food is rubbish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Darcy, one more Business class passenger this year! 😉

As ever some great advice and opinion here! Thanks.

AlasdairMc

I was there in November staying at the Verandah Resort. Lovely island, very laid back with great service throughout. I’d definitely go back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Alasdair, that’s on the list, so any more detail would be great.

Nobby

Been twice – both times stayed at the St James (the Beach Club) bit of the resort. Loved it but did get out & about a bit to make the most of the diving & snorkelling. First time we were lucky in finding a dive school run by a guy who was part of the restoration & mapping team when they re-did English Harbour so he knew where plenty of decent stuff could be found. Sting Ray Alley was awesome. 🙂

AlasdairMc

Firstly, coach on BA is horrible, but then I presume you know that. I made the mistake of not going at least WT+ and felt it.

However, the hotel was great. We went for a sea view studio apartment, which was massive with a full panorama view over the bay. Food was acceptable – I’d say good all inclusive but not amazing, even the a la carte was average a la carte. However, the variety was good throughout – never boring. The drink selection was excellent – named spirits throughout inc some malt whiskies (Glenlivet and Glenmorangie I think), a few bourbons, cocktails, bubbly etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Alasdair, thanks. I’m lucky enough to have many, many Airmiles and a gold card, so BA cattle may as well not exist! 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Antigua?’ is closed to new replies.