Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone been surfing in Morocco?
  • Pauly

And who did you go with? Thinking of heading in November but not sure whether to get a hotel in Agadir and wing it, or to book with Surf Maroc etc.

All help appreciated. Cheers.

carlphillips
    Free Member

there is a guy who surfs at bantham south devon who runs trips there, a few people i know have been but i cant remember what the business is called, i’ll try to get the info for you.

ps lucky barsteward

Pauly

Much appreciated. Been looking at Surf Maroc & Surf Berbere so far, but you can get a flights & 5 star hotel deal for £250 for a week.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Surf Maroc are very good but also look at Errant – he’s got a very good rep.

http://www.errantsurf.com/locations/World-Africa-Morocco

Pauly

Would you recommend going with one of the ‘all-in’ companies, or saving about £100 by doing it yourself?
    As I mentioned you can get a 5 star hotel, B&B, flights from Gatwick to Agadir for £250. Then you’d need to budget/arrange for a surf company to pick you up at least a few days of the week. To do it with them you’re looking at more basic accomodation, but probably less hassle.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

TBH for Morocco I’d get a package – it’s easy to get in the sh1t over there as the culture and way of doing things is so different. Also handy to have some surf guides IMO. This is from what I’ve heard though – we were booked to go there and I lost my passport 7 days before we were due to leave – DOH!

Mates go every year and love it though.

Only surfed France, Portugal, Lanzarote, Oz and NZ to date.

toys19
    Free Member

I went with Maroc Azure ask for Hassan, he’s from Devon, knows all the best spots and is an awesome surfer.
    Quality cheap accomadation.

Pauly

Cheers for the help everyone.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Good work! Never bothered with a surf travel company whenever I’ve organised surf trips (Sri Lanka, Costa Rica, Cuba, Portugal, Ireland).

I guess they are handy when it come to chasing swell, especially if you’ve got a limited amount of time.

Buy a guide, hIre a car, meet locals and other surfers. Never too much of a hassle. It’ll be busy anyway.

Pauly

Only got a week, and the better half is coming for a paddle too. Her idea actually.

Heard that it could be busy. Hope there’s not too much localism…
    Lived on the Goldie so have had it at it’s worst in terms of crowds.

toys19
    Free Member

These are some of Hassan’s fotos from Maroc Azure. He like to guide people to the less well known spots..

click

dooosuk
    Free Member

Here’s a review from a mate of mine that went last year:

“We went on a surf camp with Surf Maroc (http://www.surfmaroc.co.uk/), and stayed at the Taghazoute Villa. Our package included transfers from Agadir to Taghazoute, but not flights. Flights were about £100 Manc to Agadir, last time I looked.

The only reason we went there is for the surf, and the warm weather (we went October time). Taghazoute is a small rural fishing village. Not much there (goats, donkey drawn carts, dust etc).

The surf camp holiday was excellent. About £300 I think which included an alright double room at an alright villa (I think it was billed as luxury – it wasn’t luxury, but fine for me and the mrs), breakfast, transport to the beach in the 4x4s board and wetsuit hire, a pretty good packed lunch on the beach each day, lessons (which were meant to be for an hour in the morning but pretty much lasted for the whole time you were there). Evening meal was separate but we paid up front for a weeks evening meals at about £10 each a day which was the best option as you all sat at a big long table and had the craic catching up and talking about the days adventures (like on a ski holiday in a chalat). Couldn’t really compare the value of the evening meal with if we’d gone out each night, but it felt good value.

As regards the surfing itself, it was brilliant. You get driven to the beach where the waves are working, the guides put up a load of umbrellas, get out the cool boxes of food and water, and unload the boards and wetties. You just basically sunbathe and prat around until the tide is right and have a surf (or not), as much or as little as you like.

There were quite a lot of girls who were doing a combined surf and yoga retreat which sounded cool.

For a cheap almost all inc surfing holiday (apart from flight) I’d recommend it any day of the week…”

Pauly

Thanks very much for everyones input. Looks like it’s going to be Surf Maroc towards the end of November.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been surfing in Morocco?’ is closed to new replies.