Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone been riding in Norway?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Because if not…. then you should!

I am sure a few of you have had a look at my blog before but I recently moved to Norway (end of August) and have been doing a bit of riding since I arrived, not as much as I would like to though.

It is safe to say that this country is epic. Everywhere I have been I have been blown away by the scenery and pretty happy to have managed to ride my bike in some of these places, there are some rides from Fjora (see video below from Norrona for extra drama), from Åre bike park and also some local riding around Trondheim where I live. Next week I am going away up north to Bodø and hope to take my bike so we will see, maybe I will get to ride in the arctic circle next week.

http://williamcgibson.wordpress.com/

Norrona’s version of Fjora

http://vimeo.com/36397901

(ok I have no idea how to embed a video here, using the forum instructions does nothing…? If anyone would like to explain that would be a great help!)

billysugger
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/36397901[/video]

billysugger
    Free Member

Click on the video tab above the ‘Post’ text box. Insert your videos address.

I know someone living in Bergen and have the chance to go out for a visit from November. Think some skis might be more useful than the bike?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I did that billy but the preview just showed the [video]videoaddress[/video ] text instead of like yours, that normal?

You could be right, but I think Bergen is quite different climate to where I am in Trondheim so I am not sure, here they often don’t get snow till around or even after christmas

billysugger
    Free Member

Yeah preview does that. As long as there’s only one http in there it should be fine. Looks like a beautiful country. Shame its soooo expensive

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

but you get paid soooo much… my basic wage in as a bike shop helper outer person is £17 per hour and that is considered a crap wage 😯

100mphplus
    Free Member

Did a 7 day tour of the Lofoten Islands a few years ago, got the Hertegruten from Bodø to Moskenes and then cycled up to Svolvaer to get the boat back to Bodø, absolutely stunning!!

You totally lose track of time as it’s 24hr sunshine in the summer. Fekin most expensive country I have ever been to though and if you don’t like fish or lamb you may struggle to eat 😉

z1ppy

M8 should be moving over there in April (Alesund IIRC), he’s ridden over there with his new boss, and from what video’s I seen it looks amazingly epic and proper edge of nowhere. Not sure about having to give up MTBing for winter though.

kayak23

I’m very jealous. I went on a kayaking trip to Norway a few years back(but didn’t do any kayaking because of a recently operated on leg…) and was just utterly blown away by the country. Loved it.

I think the most beautiful country I’ve ever been to.

I would love to go biking there too. A friend recently raced at Hafjell and raved about it, but I’m sure the natural trails would be just amazing.

Not sure about having to give up MTBing for winter though.

You ski…

andypandy85
    Free Member

Very jealous, but also looking at a possible move to Norway! Would you mind if I email you to ask about the move, immigration information etc?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have a standing offer of accommodation and the use of a car in Bergen anytime I want it. Was considering a little weekend smash and grab on some of the mountains, road or MTB. A guy in the local bikeshop told me Rundemanen is a good place to go for a few hours’ fun. Do you have any information on what’s ridable? For example, are bikes allowed on the walkers path from the top of Ulriken?

My e-mail is in profile if you are able to get in touch!

nickdavies

It’s a fantastic place. I’ve paddled out there and it’s definitely on the want to list over the next few years to go back with a bike.

I can also confirm Alesund hospital is excellent…

billyboy
    Free Member

I took my kids there about twelve years ago and we did the Ralervegen…among other things. Great place….if you get the chance…..THEN GO

curiousyellow
    Free Member

So far it looks like there are some incredible descents and not too difficult ascents. Bit like the Quantocks in Bergen.

I wonder what the legality of it is, but the people I encountered on the hiking trails which are used to ride down seemed pretty friendly and commented on MTBers using the paths as well.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’ve been to Norway loads of times but always work trips and never had the chance to take the bike. Mainly Oslo but also been to Alesund.

I always look longingly/wistfully out the window of whichever plane, train or automobile I happen to be travelling on thinking “that is some damn fine looking MTB’ing country”

warpcow
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member
    So far it looks like there are some incredible descents and not too difficult ascents. Bit like the Quantocks in Bergen.

I wonder what the legality of it is, but the people I encountered on the hiking trails which are used to ride down seemed pretty friendly and commented on MTBers using the paths as well.

Afaik, they have ‘allemansrätt’ like in Sweden. Means you can go pretty much wherever you like as long as you don’t disturb homeowners’ privacy, and with certain local restrictions for nature reserves, etc.

Edit: this, but doesn’t specifically mention cycling though it is included, as is horse-riding, skiing, etc.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hi, yes, I saw that as well thanks! They seem pretty forward thinking.

I’m planning on hiking the mountains early next year to plot a route out. I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube and the guy I spoke to in the bicycle shop in Bergen said there were no problems with hikers and such, so it should be fine.

The only thing I am worried about is human traffic on the hiking trails. I saw quite a few people heading up when I was at Ulriken. Perhaps this is best tackled on a weekday to avoid them.

yunki
    Free Member

That looks wonderful

peterich
    Free Member

I stayed at the canvas hotel – the riding was great and place was stunning look them up very nice people
    my dad made all the yurts
    http://www.canvashotel.no/en

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Didn’t see all these recent posts but I guess you have sorted out your questions Mr Curiousyellow, it is also way far south of me, I am in Trondheim! Only advice I can offer is same as Warpcow, the whole all mans right covers a bunch of thins but one is also kind of open access rights basically, so you are good with our bike!

Peterich, I think they did a story on that place on pinkbike or something a while back, I looked on their website and couldn’t find where it was, emailed them and they said that was part of the point, we don’t tell people where we are unless you book with us….?
    So where is it?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been riding in Norway?’ is closed to new replies.