Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone been out and about in the North Downs
  • atlaz
    Free Member

If so, has it drained well?

geetee1972
    Free Member

It was getting a lot better but it was still a mess on Monday. It hasn't rained here now since Friday. You should be fine, especially on Holmburry Hill as it drains better than Pitch. Leith Hill should also be fine in places.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just been up on Leith, its getting there but still needs another 3 or 4 days to really buff up. Although the usual stuff has dried up. Windy willow and down there is abit of a mess still.
    Nice lolly at the tower though 8)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Where is the place you call Windy Willow? Would that be over the same section as Donnie Darko et al?

woodsman
    Free Member

Yes geetee1972, although I don't think there is a Willow near the place!

souldrummer
    Free Member

Have been out around Newlands, St Martha's and Blackheath and, where the horse riders haven't churned everything up it's in pretty good nick. The North Downs Way from Newlands towards the car park at the top of Coombe Bottom has been seriously damaged by heavy forestry machinery but is still rideable.

Pierre

Was out today in and around Leith and Holmbury Hill. It was lovely! Only a couple of boggy spots but generally dry and riding well.

: P

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Had a cracking day there on thursday.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Holmbury, Leith, Pitch are not the North Downs!!!

allyharp

Holmbury, Leith, Pitch are not the North Downs!!!

Where exactly is and isn't part of the North Downs then?

(I'm new to the area and genuinely don't know)

njee20
    Free Member

The North Downs is the chalk hill range to the North including (west to east) St Marthas, Newlands Corner, Coombe Bottom, Ranmore Common, Box Hill. They tend to be very boggy and miserable in the wet.

The Surrey Hills are the greensand hills to the south including (west to east) Winterfold, Pitch Hill, Holmbury Hill, Leith Hill, they drain much better and are generally more pleasant in the wet.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Excuse typo.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Look at that, you learn something new everyday.

It's a bit like how Redlands Trails aren't actually on the Redlands land.

Riding there yesterday (Saturday) was awesome (Surrey Hills that is). More or less bone dry and riding soooooo fast. Just enough moisture in the turns to give a little give and make it drifty at high speed.

Funny though because while it was packed out at Peaslake, what with the Bromley Cycles demo day and the weather and all, there were so few people actually on the trails. Pitch Hill was really quiet, I only saw about half a dozen peeps on that side. Barry's was a bit of an ampitheatre but then it always is.

allyharp

Funny though because while it was packed out at Peaslake, what with the Bromley Cycles demo day and the weather and all, there were so few people actually on the trails. Pitch Hill was really quiet, I only saw about half a dozen peeps on that side. Barry's was a bit of an ampitheatre but then it always is.

I thought that funny too. When I rolled into Peaslake I thought "bugger, should've come on a Sunday instead" but I barely saw anyone on the trails!

freeridenick
    Free Member

who cares which bit is what…its all dried out now and riding like a dream 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been out and about in the North Downs’ is closed to new replies.