Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anybody working in IT (or project management) – Friday afternoon chuckle
  • sparksmcguff
    DezB
    Free Member

“By ‘codify’ you mean I’ll write the program and by ‘reach out’ you mean email?” I respond.

“Yes.”

“Why not just say email?”

“I… because I might phone them.”

“So why not say phone?”

“Because I don’t know which would work at this stage, so I…”

“Or contact them,” the PFY adds

YES! I have had this conversation with people! “Reach Out” bastards!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m sure I have conversations pretty much exactly the same as that three or four times a day.

cranberry
    Free Member

It’s a shame that the BOFH doesn’t turn up that often these days, but when he does it always makes a Friday afternoon better.

Cougar

Indeed. Long running column, I remember reading BOFH back in my first IT job circa the early 90’s. That was before El Reg picked it up, and was on his own hand-crufted website amongst various ‘how to be a kiwi bloke’ type articles. Didn’t know he was still writing them, cool.

dawson

Long term reader of El Reg here too. Today’s BOFH is better than some of the recent stories. They used to be a lot more regular too.

Anybody remember The Rockall Times? seems to be gone now 🙁
    They had a story which was along the lines of ‘Mexican Festival of Apathy “Not Bad” admit organisers’ which always made me chuckle 😆

Cougar

Rockall Times exploded in a fit of (threatened?) litigation IIRC, over something petty.

dawson

ooo, ta for that, will have a read.

sparksmcguff

Wasn’t Lester Haines (of El Reg special projects and one time deputy Reg Editor – I think) one of the guys behind the Rockall Times? And didn’t they actually mount an expedition to Rockall around 2005/6? Anyone with a better memory than me? Didn’t realise Rockall Times had been threatened with litigation.

Cougar

Yep. See the link I posted – it was an internal fallout, seemingly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m tempted to write a short story about the original BOFH and PFY from 10 years ago. Where are they now?

sparksmcguff

Cheers for that, missed the link, appeared while I was posting. I’ll blame my slow fingers.

Edit: Just read the Link, didn’t realise it was all those years ago (2003!). Shame about the internal feud. Oh well.

cranberry
    Free Member

Never understood what happened to The Rockall Times. I was an avid reader and then it just seemed to stop publishing.

Read a bit of that link and it seems it was proper handbags at dawn stuff behind the scenes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anybody working in IT (or project management) – Friday afternoon chuckle’ is closed to new replies.