Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anybody Use/Work for Wireless Broadband?
  • connect2

Live out in the sticks and looking at this as an option to the 1-2mb (if that!) from the landline

Advertised speeds of 20mb, a little more expensive than current package but the whole family has mobiles and if it works I could possibly ditch the landline all together

Any real world experience? Advantages/disadvantages, reliability, actual speeds etc?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Used it in a business setting. Same principle I believe.

Depends on line of sight to the main AP. The business ones i have used have been effected by trees growing into line of sight (which only effected the signal when it rained) and also reliant on someone elses BB connection, which you could be sharing with several other people (not an issue if they guarantee speeds)

Overall for home users in remote areas I think its a pretty good option.

brassneck

If you have ADSL, try changing the master socket faceplate for one with an integrated filter.

You need the faceplate (about a £5 off Amazon) Krone punch down tool (about 2) and a decent quality RJ11 lead that can reach from your router to the socket.

Then with a careless disregard for BT rules, move the two wires from the master socket across to the new faceplate.

I went from 8Mbps down, 512Kbps up to 12Mbps down, 1024Kbps up (more or less rubbish to usable for HD streaming).

Might be worth a few quid and a few minutes to try.

connect2

I’ve had the faceplate changed etc. The problem is we’re literally miles from the exchange with very little chance of fibre making it even to the exchange anytime soon. I’ve made contact with the local WISP (wireless internet service provider) and there’s a good chance I can get it but I’d be looking at ~£700 just to get it installed, which I’d be willing to pay for a decent service. I can’t find much in the in the way of reviews so just looking for some real world experiences

brassneck

If you can connect to the main pop or a backhauled site it should be strongly comparable to a (home wifi > 20Mbps) uplink connection in terms of speed and and latency. As you’re isolated the usual issues with 2.4Ghz crowding are unlikely to be an issue. Installation cost may be down to the amount of ‘hops’ needed to get the mesh out to you, though it’s difficult to know without knowing the provider

I’ve built point to point wireless bridges/routers between buildings and to be honest there was little way to tell (in normal use) which segment was which.

CraigW
    Free Member

My brother has got it at his new house. He is a few miles from the exchange, and no chance of fibre. He has line of site to the main mast. It just needs a satellite dish on the end of the house, think he’s now getting about 30Mbps. Seems to work fine anyway.

The installation was subsidised under a government scheme, so it only cost him £40. Looks like it is this, worth checking if you are eligible? https://basicbroadbandchecker.culture.gov.uk/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anybody Use/Work for Wireless Broadband?’ is closed to new replies.