Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody successfully use the Garmin 810 for walking?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

I’m interested in buying a Garmin unit either the 510 or the 810.
    The 810 will swing it for me if it can be used for walking too.
    Any of you good folks have any experience with this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can’t see why not with the OS maps, screen is a bit small but you get a route to follow

scotroutes

It would be fine but why not consider an Oregon. It will also do your HRM and Cadence stuff if you need that and uses AA batteries which makes multi-day stuff easier.

cp

Yes of course. I’d set of the bikes to be called ‘walk’ so they get recorded as separate history.

jonba
    Free Member

I use the 800 and it is fine. Screen is small but then that is a limitation of most gps devices. Better for following a planned route than trying to work one out on the move.

I put it in a camera lens pouch on the shoulder of my rucksack. Assuming it is the same as the 800 you’ll need to improvise someway of adding a lanyard. Either get a silicone case or use a bike mount with something attached.

Not done any multiday stuff with it but it is fine for days out. Backup battery may be of use if you are out for a really long time – same as on a bike in that regard.

P20

Yes. Works fine. I use the screen lock and just keep it in my pocket. Memory map on the iPhone is clearer, but mainly due to the screen size. The Garmin is better suited as an outdoor gadget though

trailhound101

Yep – I use my 800 for walking. With the OS map, it’s really good if you’re following a path that is either not evident on the ground or its foggy – ie walk the line on the screen. I also used it on an exercise with the kids when we got ‘lost’ in a forest. As above, I lock the screen and chuck it in my pocket – if you don’t, the touch screen reacts to bumping about in the pocket and switches functions on and off randomly.

zelak999
    Free Member

Ideal, i have looked at the Oregon scotroutes but it looks a fair bit chunkier than the 810.
    Do you use it on your bike?

m1kea
    Free Member

P20

Yes. Works fine. I use the screen lock and just keep it in my pocket.

+1 to this

I also (sadly) take mine when we go skiing

nedrapier

zelak – it is a bit chunkier, yes!

Does a lot more than the Edge bike computers, but at the same time, isn’t quite as slick and easy for just biking routes – it’s taken me a little while to find the best way of using it for what I’m doing.

Great for other activities too – walking, boating, flying (glide ratio on your Edge, anyone?) mountaineery stuff, skiing etc.

replaceable batteries is very nice, but nothing to stop you bringing along a lipstick external battery with the Edges for long days & 2nd days.

At the same time, I’ve used my Edge 200 as an extra clue while navigating in a white-out. it was about as useful on it’s own as anything else, but taken together with the map, compass and barometer, it worked well enough!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use my 810 for walking too. Plot routes and follow them, track all the normal stuff I do on the bikes. I just created a profile called “walking”

Simple really.

nedrapier

I’d go to a stockists and have a play with them.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks.
    I hope that photo isnt from today Ned! its chucking it down here in sunny Devon!!

nedrapier

Nope, Saturday! Happy Shopping!

scotroutes

I do, yes. I had the smaller (but similar) Dakota for a while but prefer the larger screen of the Oregon, particularly for cycling when you are covering ground more quickly. It’s not “clunky” enough to get in the way so is mounted to my stem or to my bars.

There are various “profiles” that can be set up so you can have one quickly-accessible display setup for walking and another for mountain biking, for road riding, skiing etc. I still have an old Edge 705 but it’s redundant now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody successfully use the Garmin 810 for walking?’ is closed to new replies.