Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anybody run a chainguide with 1×11?
  • thered

I can’t get my Gamut SXR set so that the chain doesn’t rub.

Anybody tried the EThirteen TRS Race or the MRP AMG?

chakaping
    Free Member

Ran a TRS for ages as it came on one of my bikes.

Had a pretty bad design fault and had to be glued together, but chain rub wasn’t a problem.

MRP have been the easiest to live with a best-made in my past experience, but I can’t afford one now so I’m trying one of these next…
    https://www.raleigh.co.uk/mino-1x-top-guide-rcg006

They are available for £20 or under IIRC.

BoardinBob

One Up top guide. Absolutely faultless. Lots of adjustment, easy to install.

solidrooster
    Free Member

Another one up user here. Got mine on a patrol running xt, faultless

tomnavman
    Free Member

Gamut on one bike and One-Up on the other, both 1×11 XT. Would highly recommend the One-Up unless you specifically want a bash guard as well

sharkattack

I’ve got a Hope Slick on my XT 1×11. Never heard a peep out of it.

hatter

Yup, Gamut SXC, no rubbing issues here though, any details on what problems you’re having?

You should be able to get it rub free, if it’s a badly misaligned mount or something then changing guides is unlikely to help,

tomhoward

No. Running 3 bikes 1×11 (HT, trail and enduro bike) never lost a chain in 3.5 years.

Ebike has a top guide built into the frame, doesn’t cause issue

XC FS bike is 1×12, not lost a chain since buying it in March

joebristol

Yep, I’m running 1×11 GX with a oneup top guide and bash guard. No problems with it so far.

With 1×10 I lost the chain in thick mud with no chainguide as the chain didn’t sit so well into the NW chainring.

Got the 1×11 pretty muddy and have never lost the chain even when plastered in mud.

qtip

Running the Gamut S-Line (ISCG 05 mounting) with 1×11 XT Boost cranks. Required a lot of the (included) spacers to work nicely with the Boost spacing, but no rub and no other issues.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Reading this thread made me stop and try to think about the last time I dropped a chain! I hadn’t appreciated just how well modern drivetrains work, I recall having to drag a jammed chain from in between the granny ring and the chainstay on my then brand new Enduro.

Bike no 1 has a Spesh dangler thingy on the chainstay guard that is conspicuous by it’s silent running. Bike no 2 has no chain device at all, but in two years of running 1x on the bike, I’ve never once dropped a chain.

The industry appears to have delivered as advertised, I’m happy.

stewartc
    Free Member

One Up top guide on my 1×11 previously and now 1×12 on a Tranny Patrol. Easy to install and just does the job, probably don’t need it but doesn’t hurt.

markshires
    Free Member

Another One Up top guide for me, running 1×11 XT and it works. You can also get them with a bash guard too if needed.

andykentos
    Free Member

I recently removed the mrp bashguard from my Reign, replaced with a bikeahead chainguide, expensive but very light. Not sure i need it but at least i know i cant drop a chain!!

http://bike-ahead-composites.de/produkte/the-chainguide/

gwurk
    Free Member

A tenner will sort out your chain dropping problems (if you’re not in a great hurry)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DECKAS-Bike-Chain-guide-MTB-Bicycle-chain-guide-bike-chain-protector-1X-System-Single-Ring-round/32777404304.html

PS. The E-13 top guide has been updated. E13 will send you one for free if you have the flawed earlier design.

Northwind

Shovel guide on the big bike- pretty sure it’s what One Up stole the idea from. Works great anyway and there’s practically no downside, it weighs nowt, it doesn’t drag and it’s quiet and dead easy to fit

Thing about chain dropping is, chains can smell fear- I’ve only had a 1x chain fall off a tiny number of times but it’s always some time when it’s a total pain in the arse. Once in an EWS race stage, once in a Scottish enduro, once in the middle of a bottomless swamp… Never at any time when I didn’t care

gwurk
    Free Member

Listen to Jared Graves above kids

chakaping
    Free Member

PS. The E-13 top guide has been updated. E13 will send you one for free if you have the flawed earlier design.

Interesting, where’d you hear this may I ask?

I don’t wanna just ring them up and say “a bloke on the internet said…”

🙂

gwurk
    Free Member

Email them via the hive website stating the problem with your guide.

Same as I did.

#notRocketScience

Northwind

gwurk – Member

Listen to Jared Graves above kids

You knows it. I bloody burst myself on innerleithen red only to have the sneaky bastard fall off right before the classic. That cost me at least 20 seconds, relegating me from 278th to 278th.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anybody run a chainguide with 1×11?’ is closed to new replies.