• This topic has 35 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by tang.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anybody on ere done the BG round?
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

Really getting into running, especially fell running. Done a few fell races (in Wales and on the mynd) I really like the look of a super hard challenge and the Bob Graham round (google it) seems to fit the bill. How hard is it? 6-12 months training?? Your input would be great, ta

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd be surprised, and in awe, if anyone on here has done it.

iDave
    Free Member

no, but i'd like to before 2011

crikey
    Free Member

Run it as support a couple of times, and know a few folk who have done it. TBH, I don't think it's that hard as a run/walk, it's really about a proper fuelling strategy and the ability to stay awake and function for the length of time it takes.

There is some paper done on a number of attempts, analysed in terms of success, that suggests when to set off, which way round to go etc., but its in some right obscure journal and it's ages since I saw it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely Smee did it didn't he?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Twice. You can still see the dust trails on google maps.

iDave
    Free Member

Smee would have done it but it lacked the necessary challenge without ice age conditions

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Have a read of "Feet in the Clouds" for a bit of insight.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Does anyone think Smee is back?

Around about the time he threw his toys out of the pram, someone new arrived with a similarly prolific posting habit, though he appears to be behaving so far…

footflaps

Read 'Feet in the Clouds' if you want to know a lot more about it and the people who run it. Great book.

I used to Fell race, but the BG is well out of my league….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Twice. You can still see the dust trails on google maps.

This really did make me 😆

anonymouse
    Free Member

Another vote for "Feet in the Clouds". If you do it you have my undying respect.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

"feet in the clouds" is the reason I quite fancy it!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Who is this smee that you talk of, is he a fell runnning god?

Jenga
    Free Member

I've done it. Long time ago now, and there's no way I'm thinking of having another bash. Secret is to get some good pacers. You really need to be in the fell running scene. Go to a few races. Talk to lads who finish round about where you do. When they start talking about having a go then volunteer for pacemaking duties. Don't ask for petrol money or expenses or you'll soon be on your own. Once you've helped a few guys then you have favours to call on. Recce it well beforehand, every section, especially the night time ones and the last one. You'll be knackered then and need to be able to navigate on auto pilot.

Do lots of training. Miles in the bank are invaluable, in all weathers. You've got to know a lot about yourself. There will be times when you are so knackered that you are running on memory, so make sure there's something to remember!

The route has lots of short cuts nowadays. There's a quick way up Fairfield, a short cut up High Raise, a superb quick route up Bowfell and an excellent cheeky bit off Robinson. Make sure you know where the water is, especially on the Scafells. There is little between Calf Cove and Wasdale.

Car support is also crucial. You need someone reliable who you know will always be waiting for you. They should also be able to make you eat something, even though you say otherwise. Don't rely on your parents/brother and sister. Get a wisened old hand who knows the ropes.

Most important of all make sure your pacers know that they are in charge of getting you round. They carry ALL your food and gear. They bully you, lie to you, praise you and ignore you all at the same time.

If you have a good run it's a magical feeling. If you fail you are as low as can be.

I heard a rumour that the record holder – a certain Billy Bland of Fred Whitton fame – is thinking of having another go, just for old times sake. After he set his record, back in the mid 1980's he went back and walked the route, still within the time limit. It can be done. Don't try and break the record – no-one has been near it, and it will be a major shock if anyone betters Billy's time.

paul4stones

As above, very sound advice.

Do the Old County Tops as a warm up. I'll see you there 🙂

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Mmmm looks like sound advice, thanks jenga. I'll get me head down and start sloggin!

mboy
    Free Member

I really like the look of a super hard challenge and the Bob Graham round (google it) seems to fit the bill.

Putting up with me for a lap of Cwm Carn didn't cut it then? 😉

LOL

Just googled it… 😯

You are a mucking fentalist! But then you probably know that already…

You working Friday chap?

Jenga
    Free Member

It really depends if you want to do it, or if you'd like to do it. If you really want to do it then you won 't be spending much time on the bike for the next 12-18 months. If you think it's just a good idea because some internet search says it's nice then you'll fail. It's almost got to take over your life for a spell.

I suspect you don't live near The Lakes, so you'll be plugging up the M6 quite a lot.

If you are serious, and the guys you talk to realise that then there is a whole mine of information out there. Everyone is very willing to give of their experiences. There are no secrets, so get to know lots of guys in the scene. Join the FRA, and use their forum, but don't be like some of the idiots on here. Start talking like a prat and they'll drop you quicker than you can lace up your Walshes. Talk sensibly and you'll have no shortage of help.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

That's kinda what I've been thinking with regard to the cycling, I can only just about squeeze the two in at the mo. Am already on fra, certainly seem like a knowledgable bunch. I think I'll get some longer/tougher events under my belt and then take it from there. Thanks for the insight jenga, it's been a great help.

Hey maverick boy, how's the job hunting going? Am off Friday however got a fell race on sat, so no good for a ride I'm afraid. Am in for a chat if your around though.

mboy
    Free Member

Ah ok fella, good luck with the race…

I'm down your way tomorrow afternoon actually, you working tomorrow?

If you're in, I'll pop round for coffee… Interview is at 1pm, should be done about 3pm… No worries if you're working though.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Last late tomorrow mate, hook up next week?

mboy
    Free Member

No worries, again good luck with the race… Will let you know how the interview goes!

Jenga
    Free Member

If you want a sample of what it's like (only easier!!!) search the FRA for the Brecon Beacons Traverse. That starts in the middle of nowhere and goes over the Black Mountain, Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains finishing up at Llanthony Abbey. (Nice pint of draught Bass if you get down in time.) That's about 80 miles, but less climbing, and generally easier terrain than BG. I held the record for that, briefly, but that too was a long time ago. If you can't hack that then forget Lakeland.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Got it, looks like a good start and alot closer to home. Same sort of duratiion time wise as well. Thanks once again.

druidh
    Free Member

I'm on Series 3 Episode 11. Starbuck looks hot in that sports bra, but I till have a thing going on for Sharon.

lister

I walked it in 4 days (with overnight kit) and it broke me 🙂 We had the pace notes of someone who ran it in 15 hours.
    By 5 hours we were on day 2! And knackered…

I'm in awe of the runners who do it, a major feat of endurance.

(It really did break me, my knee got such bad tendonitis that I couldn't cycle for 6 weeks, and I was as hill fit as I've ever been, training for my ML)

Goz
    Free Member

Ah Ian you are alive + running..long time no see! 🙄

karnali
    Free Member

have a friend in the tri clu doing it this year, i fancy a go sometime in the future so will be interested to know how much training you put in. i do have the avantage of being able to see skiddaw from my house so not as much time needed for travelling. give us a shout if you need any help on your attempt or pacers a lot f the guys i train with fell run they may be about to help

ajf
    Free Member

Done all the legs now but at different times. Have a few friends that did it last year and they seem to be a fair few that are lining up this year. Would have had a go myself if I didn't bugger my foot.

Technically not that hard to do as long as you have the hills training. Generally accepted that you need roughly 10'000ft a week of ascent to get a good base, but this could differ per person.

For all your training needs
    http://www.bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

I reckon its all in the mind. Average and bellow average fitness people can do it because they think they can. As Billy Bland proved, its just a long walk.

MrSparkle

Heh, nobody walks like Billy Bland though! Legend.

iDave
    Free Member

Hmm, I'm properly interested now…

ajf
    Free Member

Ah MrSparkle no thoughts yourself for a BG?

Apparently some of his pacers still struggled to keep up with him when he was just walking!

stever
    Free Member

It's only 3 miles an hour. Just rather a lot of it 😉
    I think it really depends how much you want it. The 10,000' a week thing is often quoted, I don't get anywhere near that on a good week.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

mmmm,my thoughts were probably to get the 5 sections done at different times and then take it from there. i think the brecon beacon traverse will be the first goal though. for any interested partys check out http://www.gofar.org.uk

tang
    Free Member

lookma you are mental. i can put you in touch with a top ultra distance runner friend in the states. plus ive got another friend in tetbury who is a running trainer and expert on training for distance endurance running. time to work on those stretches! off to london this w/e but about next week. had an explore on sun which was 80% climbing! off out in a bit to try something else…
    ps sticking with shimano btw!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anybody on ere done the BG round?’ is closed to new replies.