Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anybody live in Jersey?
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Thinking of moving there to be with the gf, whats it like for mountain biking / fell running? I have had a bit look around the coast path , and obviously would take up surfing/ sea kyaking!

flip
    Free Member

Commit crime and yer dealing with Bergerac!!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I live in Guernsey which is obviously a far superior island in every way imaginable

MTBing is virtually non existent unless you get into the race scene and then it’s OK, but only OK. Road biking on the other hand is great, including my daily commute along the coast to work. I rarely use my car now and in fact am thinking of selling it and going car free. I imagine Jersey would be pretty much the same, quiet roads, great views and 35mph speed limits.

One great advantage of living in the Channel Islands…well log onto CRC and change the settings/currency to UK Channel Islands.

Do you see what happens there?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Ah the old disappearing VAT although GST is meant to be going upto 5%!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been to Guernsey. The bouldering was excellent.

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve got family friends out there and their son is into biking (road though, not mtb). 500 miles of roads on an island that’s only 9 miles by 5 miles. Traffic is horrendous around St Hellier but there are very quiet parts too. I think road biking would be great – low speed limit, some very steep hills, loads of route choice, nicer weather than the mainland (usually) and you’re never going to get stuck 30 miles from home if you have a mechanical.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d go stir crazy I reckon. Not being able to be more than 10 miles from home would do me in. Someone else I knew from Jersey complained about that too.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’m neighbours with Silverpigeon (he just doesn’t know it)

There are worse places than Guernsey for MTBing it’s not brilliant but it’s not bad, the racing is pretty good. Not sure what Jersey is like, but I can’t imagine it’s much different.

Ridden on the roads over there though and it’s great, 2 clubs and plenty of racing plus they have a town centre crit which is great to ride in.

I’m biased but I prefer Guernsey, less like a big UK town than Jersey.

If you get Rock fever you’re only an hour from France and 3 from the UK.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Where are you then Fred?

UncleFred
    Free Member

Up by the Last Post…

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Haven’t been there for a while, lovely place though.

My uncle is the current Governor.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Silverpigeon – just a small threadjack. Do you know if the Occupation Museum is still there? I’ve got some stuff I’d like to send to them that my Grandad collected while shooing away them Germans during the liberation.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Uncle Fred – Funnily enough, had a pint in there tonight.

If you see someone at the top of the Val des Terres on a red Focus/blue Principia and out of breath, come and say hello.

Ploppants – Occupation Museum is still here. I’m sure they’d welcome your Grandad’s stuff

UncleFred
    Free Member

Similarly if you see me on my Silver Pinarello in roadie mode, or hard tail focus or bouncy trek!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anybody live in Jersey?’ is closed to new replies.