Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody know who sells/distributes Stout hubs?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Got a Stout hub (off a Spesh, so maybe someone elses hub with Stout written on it) with cup and cone bearings and need a new cone, but struggling to find anybody who sells them.

Alternatively how different can they be? What would be the chances of a Shimano cone (that certaibly looks the same) working?

z1ppy

stout hubs are specialized own brand IIRC, well they were able to supply me a 9MM bolt thru axle from/for one.. I’d try them first (I contacted the specialized concept store).

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I was able to replace the axle in my stout hub with a shimano one no problem. It was a little bit grumbly afterwards, but then it had been in a smash big enough to bend the axle so no surprises there!

z1ppy

V8_s_p, I don’t actually have a stout hub, I just wanted a 9MM thru axle (not a std QR). One version of the stout hub came with it a 9mm axle… so I tried and got one of them off specialized.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Tried that. My local Spec concept store are linked to a biggish retailer in Chester (actually appeared in The Apprentice the other week) who are frankly worse than b****y useless.
    Needless to say they couldn’t help other than suggesting getting the wheel built onto a new hub.

z1ppy

Try the specialized concept store in Brum, the muppet who answered the phone couldn’t help, but he passed me to a mechanic who knew the score.

Or you could try emailing specialized customer service, they are renowned for being very good…

sharkbait
    Free Member

z1ppy……. might try emailing. Could I swop the entire axle for a Shimano one?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i didn’t make myself clear earlier – it is possible to replace the complete stout axle with a shimano one. From memory all the bits looked identical so I imagine you can mix and match if required, but for £10 you might as well just replace the whole axle.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheers V8 – seems like the way forward.

Ted

sharkbait
    Free Member

Taking wheel to my other lbs (who, ublike the first one, are really helpful) and they’re going to hunt through their parts bin and put something together.
    🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

bargain-tastic 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know who sells/distributes Stout hubs?’ is closed to new replies.