Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody know of a eejits guide going tubeless?
  • sp
    Free Member

Anybody know of a eejits guide going tubeless?

Thanks 😳

PJM1974
    Free Member

Try Googling "Ghetto Tubeless". There is also a Youtube vid by Stan's explaining it.

It's easier than you think, provided you have access to a compressor or have extremely strong forearms and a good track pump.

bassspine
    Free Member

LMGTFY here

sp
    Free Member

PJM1974 and bassspine, nice one, thanks for the advice

gonetothehills
    Free Member

That's a great link, bassspine – thanks. I'm in the same eejit boat as the OP.

(mini ontopic hijack): Forgive my gross ignorance too, but reading that guide – does it assume normal tyres (ie, non tubeless) and normal rims (I'm guessing the latter's the case).

I have normal – non UST – Mavic 719 rims, and have just picked up some tubeless tyres, along with a Joe's Tubeless kit (with the milk and rim strips).

[*]Do I need to follow that guide too with these?
    Will it work with my current Fire XC non tubeless tyres?
    When do you use proper tubeless tyres.[/*]

Totally confused now!

jedi

always reminds me of the badger thread of old 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

You will still need to use the BMX inner tube and sealant with tubeless tyres and normal rims. (edit: or the Joe's kit rim strip) It's pretty easy though.

I've done it with 719s and it works well.

Proper tubeless tyres work with proper tubeless rims and will often seal without sealant, although you'd be daft not to use it anyway for a better seal and sealing punctures etc imo.

I have inflated non tubeless tyres on my tubeless rims too though 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks grum – as ever. So what do the tubeless tyres bring to the party? I can understand the intelligence of using the sealant – whether it's for ghetto or proper tubeless setups.

grumm
    Free Member

No probs 🙂

I believe the tubeless tyres have a different bead, and thicker sidewalls.

I really recommend tubeless anyway – I used to get loads of flats, not had any since I went tubeless, including a week in the Alps doing the Megavalanche (on a ghetto tubelessed 719 rear wheel with 2.5 dual ply high roller).

sp
    Free Member

jedi – Member

always reminds me of the badger thread of old
    ❓ ❓ ❓

grum I'm considering using Maxxis Highrollers on tubeless rims, have you had any experience with these? Ta

grumm
    Free Member

No 'fraid not – only tried Bontrager Big Earl and Jones ACX since i got my Flow rims, both went up very easily.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know of a eejits guide going tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.