Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anybody here work for the HSE?
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

I am applying for a job as trainee H&S inspector, any tips wold be much appreciated.

Mike

project
    Free Member

Based on experience,

Practice a sharp intake of breath,

Buy a clipboard, and a high viz jacket and a big box of Persil as you never see one in a dirty jacket,

A green biro,they always have a green biro,

A joke book as they have ,No sence of humour,

Seriously a really interesting job one i would love to do after being a paramedic.

ibis
    Free Member

You will end up buying plastic cutlery and doing risk assesments before sex!
    Seriously thou best of luck 😛

MoreCashThanDash

Great time to be joining the public sector!

Spud

I applied years ago, got through to the final selection ‘event’, this was the third of them. Sell your experience, even though I had a lot in environmental consultancy it wasn’t enough at the side of offshore workers, solicitors, mines H&S reps etc. They wanted a lot of industrial experience and people that are worldly wise. Was very disappointed I missed out, as it would have been a great job. I deal a lot with them now for incident work and COMAH etc.

Good luck.

tazzymtb

learn the definition of “as far as is reasonably practicable” and understand how to apply it in real world situations.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate of mine is a H&S guy at the council, and has his own business as well – he is relatively normal, and I love to wind him up by passing on stories of Daily Mail “H&S gone mad” type stories, as he will confirm that the issue is actually a non H&S person being paranoid rather than any legal requirements!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’ve just done two years with them in bootle

typically a hse inspector..

is both knowledgeable and experienced in their chosen field

stubborn and will stick to their guns – they want people who are not a push over

civil service types

generally good to work for, although I did it as a contractor doing management rather than safety.

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-11590909

He had the wrong type of gloves, alledgedly.

Unemployment in Hull may well have just risen by one, the one who handed out the gloves.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anybody here work for the HSE?’ is closed to new replies.