Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anybody had grief counselling?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My Uncle died twenty years ago which has had a few knock on effects for our family. These have come to the fore again over Christmas and are having an affect on my Dad. He never talks abouts anything but has mentioned that maybe he should have some form of counselling in the past. I’m thinking that it’s not too late but how do you persuade somebody that they should go down this route?

hels
    Free Member

Make it easy for them. Don’t make him an appointment thats crossing the line a bit, but find out the names of some good ones near you that aren’t expensive. Don’t harrass him about it and be gentle with the info.

I had grief counselling when my dad died when I was 22, which helped, just having somebody who had to listen to me for a whole hour and hand me tissues. But didn’t really start casuing problems until much later and didn’t make the connections until even more years had passed.

druidh
    Free Member

If he’s already mentioned it himself, then I’d just come up with a few suggestions and leave him to mull them over.

I still think about some counselling, but as a typical man, I’ve never got around to it!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think when he talked about it in the past was about five or six years ago when my friends sister died. I find it very difficult to talk to my dad about much more than the weather. Most conversations finish with “I’ll get your Mum.”

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I would recommend Cruse. I haven’t used them personally, but I have directed others in their direction on a number of occasions. I have only had positive feedback.

stanfree
    Free Member

Steven My wife had It when her dad died (Anns husband), It really seemed to help as I thought she would never get over It. She still gets low on his birthday and anniversary , I think It was arranged through our local GP.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Thanks TW. I was thinking my Mum should maybe go and speak to their GP. I see the Cruse people have leaflets, might try and get some of those. I’m not sure he needs grief counselling as such but he needs to speak to somebody to sort out the other issues.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anybody had grief counselling?’ is closed to new replies.