Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anybody ever retired themselves from Strava?
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you mean delete account or just stop uploading?

HTTP404
    Free Member

I just want my details private – but its a pain to do each ride one-by-one – I want to keep it as my training diary.
    The privacy isn’t much good – because apps like veloviewer can still snoop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

probably sign up for a non social training app? Download all your rides then delete them. The T&C’s will tell you what happens to your data once your gone.

MrAgreeable

Just use MyTracks instead. You can export the data to a spreadsheet and geek out to your heart’s content.

scotroutes

There are other training diaries available – Garmin Fit, Endomondo etc. You don’t have to share if you don’t want to.

Duggan

How come you’re so bothered by people seeing it? I guess you could just set up an account with a fake name if it’s just the privacy thing?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Yes. Probably time to switch over to something private.
    Too many sports psycho stalkers on strava.

How come you’re so bothered by people seeing it? How come you’re so bothered by people seeing it?

I don’t mind people seeing. Its when I ride a training route and get a good result on some segment – and then within 2-3 days a somebody rides the same segment (faster). This has been going on for a couple of months. And then to top it all I got a strava email to say he is now following me. This is all way too creepy.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Change your settings so they can’t follow you without your permission.
    That’s what I’ve done so only people I actually know can follow me

HTTP404
    Free Member

with veloviewer they still can.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If VeloViewer is doing that (getting round Strava’s privacy) then Strava would probably like to know

We Think Ahead
    We showcase a lot of awesome data about where we go, who we work out with and how we push ourselves. If we don’t want everyone to know what we’re up to, we take the necessary privacy precautions before we upload, like setting privacy zones and choosing who can follow us and what they can see.

Some Terms From Strava
    either the info is public (and you missed something in the privacy) or there is potentially a flaw in the API which shares more than should be shared. Pop it on the strava help/blog/comments and see what they say.

zangolin
    Free Member

All Velo Viewer needs is your Strava id number. If you appear on a section then anyone can see your Strava id number and the rest of your route for that particular ride you were on – that includes anyone who is not on your following list. Any private zones you have set up in Strava are still valid in routes/rides uploaded to Velo Viewer – so in that respect Velo Viewer does not circumvent that particular privacy/security feature of Strava.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About what I thought, I don’t appear in segments in my Privacy zones or on Private rides I think.

nick1962
    Free Member

I just want my details private – but its a pain to do each ride one-by-one

How so?
    After you finish a ride you get the option to keep it private when you’re saving it don’t you?

Its when I ride a training route and get a good result on some segment – and then within 2-3 days a somebody rides the same segment (faster).

Welcome to Strava 😉
    The requests to follow you could be genuine but also sound like some p88ck wanting to make sure you know they beat your time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you go to training, my new activities you can click and save the existing ones if you want to. Saves opening each one in turn.

djglover
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of strava was social networking for amature athletess. maybe the wrong site for you…

aracer
    Free Member

<wonders idly if it would freak File Not Found even more if some random Strava user uploaded a route where they started each segment just after him and overtook him on each one>

What is your Strava ID, HTTP, as I don’t get what you mean and could do with seeing an example?

HTTP404
    Free Member

djglover – I think some patterns of social networking can be disturbing.

aracer – I am making my activity all private.

mikewsmith – Thanks. That tip has saved me huge amounts of time!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

perhaps it’s a shy but attractive lady who is also a good cyclist and wants to catch his attention….

HTTP404
    Free Member

… but the chances are it’s an ugly bloke who is also a good cyclist – and I don’t want his attention…..

aracer
    Free Member

aracer – I am making my activity all private.

Bah – shall have to find some other random punter to do that to…

nickc

Its when I ride a training route and get a good result on some segment – and then within 2-3 days a somebody rides the same segment (faster)

forgive me, I don’t do strava, but isn’t this the whole point?

djglover
    Free Member

This thread inspired me to go hit a load CRs on local segments :-D.

Got 7 mostly from one bloke. Hell think I’m a right stalker now!

http://app.strava.com/activities/46168713

chakaping
    Free Member

*cough*
    bad loser

zangolin
    Free Member

What is your Strava ID

It’s the number that appears in the URL for a riders profile
    random example from a Strava athlete in Japan below.
    eg.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/706315

andytherocketeer

Dunno what you mean by retired, but I publicly deleted everything and closed the a/c. And not missing it whatsoever.

Too many bugs and niggly features that I didn’t like. Maps were unusable and too small, and if you’d not made the profile private and a trophy hunter followed you, there was no way to block him. Maybe these features have been fixed now, but the bug reporting system was cack too.

aracer
    Free Member

This thread inspired me to go hit a load CRs on local segments :-D.

Got 7 mostly from one bloke. Hell think I’m a right stalker now!

http://app.strava.com/activities/46168713

Thanks for that 😉 😆

DickBarton

So you post your rides (previously not marked as private)…someone else then beats your time (that you were doing a training ride on)…they follow you and you are getting worried as they are beating you and then following you?

Set everything to private and make sure any bike details are removed and your Privacy around your house is set to as big a limit as possible.

Then suck it up and accept you aren’t as fast as you think and there are people who will keep beating you…once you accept that, get back to enjoying your ride!

roverpig

Is there any alternative to Strava that will allow you to define segments and store details of which bike was used in the same way? I’m not really interested in what other people are doing, but I like the way Strava lets me chart my own changes in fitness and the ease with which I can compare times on different bikes over a number of segments.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ever retired themselves from Strava?’ is closed to new replies.