Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anybody doing or trying to do a self build at the moment?
  • mtbmaff
    Free Member

Only having done the standard buy and sell my house [twice/once], I'm in a totally new ball game of trying

to sort out finance/mortgage on a self build.

bedmaker

Im doing one at the mo. The actual building is great. Dealing with the bank/solicitors/engineers is a pain in the arse though. They are parasites. 👿
    Cash flow is often the problem with self build mortgages as they pay out after you have completed stages.
    We've been alright thankfully as we made a bit on our last house and saved hard for a few years aswell.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im just starting one.

Got 100% build cost financing in place and a portion of the site cost funded to. Had a substantial wad of equity to put in up front so can fund liquidity myself, using BS certificates a we go against which to draw down next tranche + extra.

There's a big part of the http://www.buildstore.co.uk/mykindofhome/index.html in Swindon dedicated to sorting out finance etc. Probably worth a visit although I didnt use them, I used a broker.

It's not cheap – you have to factor it all into your costs, security fees, broker fees (if you use one as I did), conveyance fees if you're using a solicitor for your mortgage. Some of it you can roll into the loan, others you cant.

As I said we found it relatively easy because of having a pool of capital at our disposal to carry us until the facility was fully in place. Same as bedmaker by the sound of it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anybody doing or trying to do a self build at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.