Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anybody dealt with Raceface warranty?
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

So last week in Norway I snapped a pair of Raceface Sixc bars, a slow speed crash on something smoother than a fire road (wet rock, front wheel washed), i had everything torqued to no more than 4nm (No torque settings anywhere). Surely the bars should not have snapped in what was such a low speed, pathetic crash.

I tried Evans today, where i bought them from, they said they couldn’t do anything, think they didn’t want to get involved too much, heard silverfish are a nightmare so was going to try Raceface directly, hoping for a crash replacement of some sort at the least.

Thoughts? Pics can be provided if you’re interested 😉

akira

You’ll probably have to go through Evans, many companies only deal with shops. It’s Evans responsibility as that’s where you bought it.

alpineharry
    Free Member

I’m going to send Raceface an email, see what they say, if i can get a crash replacement even then that’s better than nothing, then I’ll have to deal with Evans again…

pinetree
    Free Member

Would be interested to see some pics before any pitchforks are sharpened.

It’s always tricky to say with bars, as it could be a crash you’ve had previously has damaged em, and the little crash was just the straw to break the camel’s back.

Try not to get too angry at this point 🙂

drovercycles
    Free Member

Silverfish have always been absolutely fine for us with the few Raceface warranty issues we get. Crash damage is not warranty of course, but given that you’re talking about bars which are rated for downhill use, you might get lucky. Of course, if what you’re saying is that you think they’re faulty because they snapped when they shouldn’t have done, that’s a different matter. Sadly I don’t think they do crash replacement.

If you consider it to be warranty, you need to insist that Evans raise it for you with Silverfish.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Generally, as my many posts on here will show, I’m always happy to help.
    But, seeing as we’re a “nightmare”, I guess you wont want my involvement eh?

Alternatively, if you’d rather make your own mind up on our service instead of forum rumours feel free to drop me a mail and, as is true of every single member of the Silverfish Team, I’ll do my best to assist.

Richie @ Silverfish – uk . com

alpineharry
    Free Member

Hey Richie, i’ve only heard good things currently. I work in a bike shop who have bought from silverfish quite a lot but i don’t think we have you as a supplier so can’t deal direct. I’ll send you an email across now, have just sent one to Raceface directly to see what they think.

Cheers

alpineharry
    Free Member

‘Pinetree’, this was the first crash i had, as i say, nothing spectacular and it only my 3rd ride with the bars. I just hate to think what may have happened if it had happened at speed when i was on the bike

alpineharry
    Free Member

Email sent Richie, cheers

drovercycles
    Free Member

If you consider it to be warranty, you need to insist that Evans raise it for you with Silverfish.

Ha! Forgot that Richie posts here so you could just wait for him to come along and sort you out…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I asked silverfish about the front plate of my turbine stem when there was an issue (or potential issue?). A new one was posted without question. Thumbs up from me.

akira

What Evans store was it out if interest, I work for them and always find it useful to know who is not pulling their finger out and doing the basics.

qwerty
    Free Member

ha, the cycle trades gone full circle on this one 😀

kevin1911

What ever happened to knock rated bars? Did that initiative die a death?

I do like carbon bars but hearing stories like this makes me wonder. If have thought that the sixc should be tough as they get.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I’m off riding but will check emails later alpineharry.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Akira – It was the one in Gateshead, they seemed happy enough but pretty much said, you’ve had a crash, it’s broken, nothing we can do etc and then proceeded to tell me their stories of disappointment with carbon failures. I was told to bypass Evans and go straight to Silverfish, i understand why now.

Kevin1911 – They were good while they last as I had a 35mm stem too as I bought the larger diameter version as they were on offer. This has put me off slightly as I didn’t torque them very much, to 4nm, which is nothing really, had no lucj finding settings and I did read the instructions to see if there were torque settings.

Richie – Not to worry, thanks for the help!

pinetree
    Free Member

This:

heard silverfish are a nightmare

To this:

i’ve only heard good things

…In 3 posts. Outstanding.

kevin1911

I’m no material scientist, just a flawed engineer thinking out loud… But I wonder if too-low torque might cause it’s own problems, if the centre of the bar isn’t supported enough, allowing the bar to move to much and get pressed against the sharp edges of the stem. Pretty sure it’s a non-starter of a theory. Must surely be a manufacturing defect

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anybody dealt with Raceface warranty?’ is closed to new replies.