Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anybody bought a Saab 900 turbo S16 (1985-92) in the last five years?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I have been and am obsessed with this particular car since an uncle bought one on a D plate, brand new back in the mid eighties. Good examples are becoming scarce and I was thinking of buying one to run on a Sunday basis for a few years.

Has anybody had any experience of doing this and perhaps tell me if it’s a good / stupid idea. Is it a potential money pit situation or are they cheap enough to keep running as long as the body and chassis are good?

Any experiences, tips and advice you share would be much appreciated.

DezB
    Free Member

Lovely motor. My first boss had one, but that was 1985 🙂
    Some useful stuff here
    http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/saab/900-turbo/?section=buying

simmy
    Free Member

Not in the last 5 years but I had a standard 900 about 15 years ago.

Look for rot under the battery and make sure the electric Windows work. My Windows had seized solid as water gets in the mechanism and rots it.

dti

ran a g reg from 5yrs old until it died , still my favorite of all the cars i’ve ran

wwaswas

Had a 900 SE Turbo Ruby Edition.

Best car I ever had in a lot of ways.

Electrics could be a bit temperamental.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Never had one. Didn’t realise they could be had for so little money:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C745870

redstripe
    Free Member

I had one as a student in the late 80’s, fond memories, so comfortable and fast for the regularly journeys I was doing then between London and Wales. It was over 6′ in the back with seats folded so you could kip in it after parties etc. The only thing I remember that went wrong was the heater control busted (a brittle plastic rod behind dash) and the alternator packed up meaning it died on some remote mountain road in mid-Wales – days before mobile phones and a long walk to find somewhere to call the AA. I’d love another too, good luck in search.

singletrackmind

last 5 years nope, last 12 years yup, owned 2.
    Very good cars in their day , but getting on now. Ergomicaly not the best but great comfortable ( heated ) seats .
    Radiators were a common fault , and reverse gear graunch , 2nd gear syncro failure also common.
    The plastic rod connecting the hot water to the valve rounds out, and the string that connects the windscreen wipers fails.
    Plus side, well built ,good spares back up. Fast on astraight dry road, safe , tunable 2.3 16V turbo engine . Forget economy , mine did 26 -28 on a good day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anybody bought a Saab 900 turbo S16 (1985-92) in the last five years?’ is closed to new replies.