Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any West Ridgeway locals on here
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Planning on riding to Bath tomorrow. Ridgeway from Cholsey to Avebury then just Kennt and Avon to Bath.
    Obviously it’s been dry as a bone for weeks, but would yesterday’s/today’s rain be enough to make a significant difference to conditions?
    In winter/spring it’s an absolute pig, but think most of the west section is generally pretty hard packed these days so should be ok.
    Any opinions from regular users?
    cheers
    Jim

faustus

Don’t live near Avebury, but have ridden a fair bit of it recently and it’s been dry and dusty. Not really been enough rain lately to make much difference, maybe a couple of puddles but i wouldn’t worry.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

cheers – i was thinking more about the clay, where just a little but of rain on hard packed clay can make it a slidey mess.
    From memory though, a lot of that half of the ridgeway is gravel?

johnny

Not been out on that part of the Ridgeway today, but the Chilterns end is fine, and if it’s OK here then that means it’s usually fine!

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks both – i’m just being overcautious knowing it’s going to be an 80mile day!

DavidB
    Free Member

Was up on it last night near Avebury. It is bone dry. Hardly had any real rain of consequence

faustus

I’d be more worried about extendable dog leads on the K&A if I were you 🙂

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Raining steadily at this end, guess i’ll find out one way or another tomorrow morning.
    Expecting the K&A to be a frustratingly slow with other users, but hopefully fewer dog walkers on a friday afternoon…
    cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any West Ridgeway locals on here’ is closed to new replies.