Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Any Welsh speakers in da house?
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Settle an office argument for me:

What's the Welsh word for 'five'.

Is it 'pum',

or 'bum'?

Ta.

krag
    Free Member

It's 'pump', pronounced 'pimp'

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Ah. We have a comedy tryping errot in the leaflet we've just produced, then…

Junkyard
    Free Member

pimp {pronounced]as he said why the argument you silly little myncis – nice wenglish word there.

steveh

Krag ti'n siarad cymraeg!

And yes my spelling in welsh is balls.

BlingBling
    Free Member

What do you call a Welshman in charge of 4 hookers?
    Pedwar pimp

Only works spoken tbh 😆

krag
    Free Member

Numbers, "It's raining" and "I like frothy coffee" is about the extent of my welsh to be honest 🙂

It sounds strange when people pronounce Afan as "afff-an" though 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yan, tan, tetherer, metherer, pimp is Yorkshire 1,2,3,4,5

I feel guilty because I'm Welsh but I don't know more than a few words – but then, as a child in south Wales I never heard it spoken.

rkk01
    Free Member

Doesn't the soft mutation mutate the p to a b??

As in…

Mae hi'n bump o'r gloch rather than mae hi'n pump o'r gloch

martyntr
    Free Member

pimp….. (pump) as the others have already said above….

fwb2006
    Free Member

Da iawn rkk01, un point am chi.

rkk01
    Free Member

fwb2006 – Member
    Da iawn rkk01, un point am

Diolch / Meur ras

tankslapper
    Free Member

Pan welwch olau coch sefwch yma

Gwyddel! 😆

feenster
    Free Member

The Welsh bit reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated"

allthepies
    Free Member

Araf.

See, I speak Welsh boyo.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

am chi is wrong

am=at
    chi is usually used when more than 1 person is involved or the person is very important

I would have said 'marc i ti'

there must be more welsh speakers on this forum.

Or is it full of english dweebs 😉

tankslapper
    Free Member

Northern Irish if you please!! Married to a Welsh woman now POW – Prisoner of Wales! 😆

Learning the language – slowly…..

fwb2006
    Free Member

Rudiboy, from South Wales are you boyo?

rkk01
    Free Member

tankslapper – Member
    Northern Irish if you please!! Married to a Welsh woman now POW – Prisoner of Wales!

Learning the language – slowly…..

…from the road signs by the look of your red lights 😉

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Used to be a fully fledged member of the Welshcoast massive…

ond nawr rwyn byw yn ganol y moch yn lloeger.

cuckoo
    Free Member

It sounds strange when people pronounce Afan as "afff-an" though

I was looking up a Welsh pronounciation guide on the internet and realised f = v and ff = f. I thought about Afan and realised i had embarressed myself on my last trip there 🙂

Also can you clarify does "dd" = the?? Does this mean Dafydd = Davithe?

Surfr
    Free Member

Dw i'n siarad tipyn bach. Dysgais i o dosbarthau nos ac yn y gwaith (Dw i'n gweithio yn yr Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru). Yn anfodus, dw i ddim yn hyderus yn siarad gyda pobl rhugl 😕

krag
    Free Member

Cuckoo: Yeah, it's pretty much like a "thh" sound, so Davith. Watch some pobl y cwm on S4C if you want to hear it properly 🙂

Dobbo

Yacky dar.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

gwych surfr

neis i weld pobol yn gwenud ymdrech….

ahwiles
    Free Member

not that long ago, welsh was only a spoken language – it had no alphabet or spelling.

The welsh adopted the english/latin alphabet – this was a good idea, no point inventing their own letters/typeface/typewriters etc. Russian / Geek alphabets would also have made good choices.

(some North American tribes did the same thing)

if Afan isn't pronounced 'Afan' – then why is it spelt 'Afan' ?

us English can hardly be expected to get the pronunciation correct if you welsh can't get the spelling correct…

Bore da!

iolo
    Free Member

Mae na amball i ful dwl ar hwn di mynd.
    Meddwl bod nwn ddoniol.
    Bechod.

I'm currently residing in Oxfordshire all week and back to North Wales on the weekends.

rkk01
    Free Member

not that long ago, welsh was only a spoken language – it had no alphabet or spelling.

The welsh adopted the english/latin alphabet – this was a good idea, no point inventing their own letters/typeface/typewriters etc. Russian / Geek alphabets would also have made good choices.

Most languages trace back to purely oral traditions – just depends how long back you wish to look…

I would have thought that written forms of the Brythonic languages go back at least as far as written English

Surfr
    Free Member

Whilst it may share characters, it does contain it's own letters.

Welsh exclusive letters:

dd
    ll
    ff
    th
    ch
    ng
    ph
    rh

English exclusive letters:
    q
    k
    z
    x
    v

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the Welsh 'discovered' America about 400 years before the Spanish, we just couldnt write it down so didn't bother to tell anyone 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

The welsh alphabet is entirely phonetic.
    As such once you know the sound of the letter it's easy.
    There's none of this altering letter's depending on the spelling eg the c sounds completely different in source to what it does in cart.
    Welsh is a far easier language to read and write as the letters follow the sound of the word.

mAx_hEadSet

The Basques discovered America first, however they were such a distrustful nation they declined to tell anyone so they could keep its riches for themselves..

Wales was Wales before England was was, It was the early christian monks who endeavouring to try to record it had to find an alphabet and of course as Latin speakers they assigned latin text to transcribe it. it is quite possible in doing so they have distorted pronunciation of the language to a more latin vowel set. It was not that long ago that the texts commenced about the time of William the Bastard. Gerald Cambriensis's tour of Wales was part of the process by which the narrative of Welsh History, Culture and legends was created. The Mabinogion was passed down through generations of skilled story tellers never on paper, The importance of the spoken language has made eisteddfod and the art of verse and singing in person so important in Welsh Culture as opposed to having loads of book festivals.

as Iolo says the beauty of the language is it mutates so that when letters with hard sounding words come together the mutation softens the process for the spoken language but can look a tong twisting adventure when written for an english speaker. eg in Wales Yn Cymru becomes Yng Nghymru a nasal mutation that sounds a whole lot nicer than pronouncing the dictionary spelling

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Erm… I only asked what the Welsh word for 'five' is… 😐

catfood
    Free Member

if Afan isn't pronounced 'Afan' – then why is it spelt 'Afan' ?

Coz there aint a v in the Welsh alphabet, a single f is a v sound, ff is an f sound, so Afan is pronouned Avan.

Pembo
    Free Member

Stupid language Welsh. At least with english you know that when a word is spelt (or is it spelled?) 'cholmondeley' it is pronounced 'chumley'.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Any Welsh speakers in da house?’ is closed to new replies.