Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any web designers or hosters on here?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I need a little help.

I have never done any web design but my girlfriend wants to set a site up for her business.

It is a small portrait painting company so the site does not need to be super technical.

All we need is a blog, gallery, a way of sending a picture via a contact page, possibly a payment page and a few email address acounts.

The domain we want is free so how do I start the ball rolling as I see lots of site saying by the domain for £2.97 a year and then they charge £6 a month for web hosting.

What is the best way to set up cheap and easy for newbies?

cheers

DaveGr
    Free Member

What is the best way to set up cheap and easy for newbies?

I've registered domain names with UK Reg and you do pay £x per year. Hosting is thru my ISP force9 for the monthly inclusive price but that means you end up using their names. eg "http://www.davegriffiths.force9.co.uk/Leprabikeride/" rather than "www.leprabikeride.co.uk" and not sure if it excludes business.

It's dead easy to set up a web site if you have some techy knowledge but hard to set up a decent web site !!! Suggest you plan to spend some money on it by getting someone who's done it before otherwise you'll put off more people than you attract.

GrahamA
    Free Member

If you want to process payments you probably need help from a pro.

atlaz
    Free Member

You're going to need a hand with the payment processing, but for the rest, try any of the big UK hosters. Drop me an email if you want a bit more advice.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Who are the big UK hosters?

g6dcs
    Free Member

Try 123-reg

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've recently used Domaincity recently for the same thing (jewellery business set up by a friend). They'll do the domain for about £10 for 2 years and basic web hosting for £16/year I think it is.
    For your payment processing I'd go with the Paypal offering. Pretty simple to set up (I could do it so it must be), charges are reasonable and there's no ongoing monthly costs involved which seems to be the case with all the others.

spacemonkey

My mate Chris set up the following site Hatstand Images using these people:

Photium

He's well impressed because it's a simple template-driven UI with excellent customer support.

You could also set up a WordPress blog and integrate some gallery plugins. But at the same time, I think you need to qualify the need to have a blog – is it going to be useful? Have a look at other artists sites and see what they're doing. If you definitely want one then I'd go with WordPress, and then choose someone like Zen Internet, HostPapa or NativeSpace for hosting – I recommend each of these because of price and support.

SM

spacemonkey

Ref payment, have a look at Paypal and Google Checkout.

spacemonkey

If you want a hand PM me

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Cheers guys will draw up a spec this weekend.

DaRC_L

For design look at .Net mag too – it has tutorials and ideas
    http://www.netmag.co.uk/

Dimmadan
    Free Member

spacemonkey, blog has been canned as I think it is rubbish anyway.

How much did your mate pay for the whole site?

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Another vote for Reg-123.

They now do ready made ecommerce sites. See here.

spacemonkey

Dimmadan, YGM

spacemonkey

Here's Chris' reply:

For info (and all this is available on Photium's website) I pay £80 per year (or £7.something per month) which includes everything: hosting, support, domain name and space for up to 300 images. There are other packages that have more features and allow for more images, but they'd need to check Photium.com for prices etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any web designers or hosters on here?’ is closed to new replies.