Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Any way of contacting Bonthrone Bikes? Do they have a communication problem?
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Does anyone have any alternate phone numbers for Bonthrone? (or SBR sports, the parent company)

I ordered a bike on October 3rd, my money was taken, and was rung promptly on the monday morning to say it was out of stock, and offered a discounted 2010 model instead (no problems there, happy to take a substitute, and the service was good).

I was told it would be two weeks. I waited a month before contacting them (rang them on November 3rd), and was told it would be 10 days. not so happy.

Its now november 17th, 7 weeks since I placed the order, and I have been ringing them every day for the last week to see what the problem is and have recieved no answer.

am I being impatient, or should I be expecting a phone call from them to explain the problem? I understand that ordering bikes in doesnt always go smoothly, but their communication has gone from excellent (like all the previous orders I've placed with them) to absolutely terrible.

whats the solution?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Contact Trading Standards in Windsor. They are doing a big investigation into this company. Don't hold your breath about getting any sort of response from Bonthrone – you won't get one.

kimbers

they have a shop on fulham road which is about a mile down from my work

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh-Oh…………
    🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I might be strolling around that part of town at the weekend. Want me to pop in and see them? (Can take a pair of Marzocchis with me if need be….)

As above, however, there are many bad tales about them at the mo.

grumm
    Free Member

Threatening them with trading standards was the only way to get my money back off them, def worth getting in touch imo.

giantjason
    Free Member

i ordered some parts from them a couple of weekends ago over the internet.

realised i ordered the wrong parts the following day and emailed them asking for a full refund.

The refund was credited to my account within days.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Hmmm, thats annoying. I didnt really want a refund, I just wanted a bike!

I take it I should give up on expecting a delivery and get on to trading standards?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

They have a habit of taking money from credit cards as soon as the order is placed. From what I can remember they are not supposed to charge you until they are sending the item out. I got my money refunded through my credit card company, seeing as Bonthrone wouldn't respond.

br
    Free Member

Didn't Bonthrone go bust a few years ago, and then by miracle re-appear almost straight away?

grumm
    Free Member

Sounds like it's just pot luck to be honest – some people have had good experiences but lots haven't

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sbrbonthrone-bikes-pwned

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Just on the phone with trading standards. not very helpful really, but at least my complaint has been logged.

Its a shame as I have already had to cancel two races because I havent got the bike, and this weekend will be out the window too 🙁

Is anyone willing to 'pop in for a chat' for me? theres no way I can get to windsor. I could pop a few quid in the STW (or your own) beer fund for the troubles. my email is in my profile.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

any link to the thread on bikeradar Grumm? I had a quick search but couldnt see it.

grumm
    Free Member

Bikeradar's not working for me at the mo but I should be able to find it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Doesn't hairychested work there?

_foxie_
    Free Member

just ot of interest – what bike were yo waiting on?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I originally ordered a 2009 Cannondale cx9, which was 'in stock' on their website, but got offered a 2010 cannondale xr9 as they 'had just sold' the other bike.
    all in all, I'm £1000 down at the moment and not very happy

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

IIRC the credit card company will refund if you've not had delivery within 45 days of the entry. Give them a ring, waht have you got to lose?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I ordered on a Debit card, so no legal responsibility for my bank to do anything about it. 🙁

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

O dear – Just logged on to my account with Bonthrone, and was greeted by

You have no open or completed orders

YES I DO! YOU HAVE MY MONEY
    I have just been reading on Bikeradar… how do companies get away with it?

grumm
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

Why in gods name did you pay on a debit card!

This could be an expensive lesson.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Well I just had an email back from Bonthrone saying they have granted my refund, and need my card details to process it. we'll see what happens in the next few days.

I have also been on the line with trading standards, and registered my complaint, but hopefully I don't have to pursue that path any further.

o, and b-r, I used a debit card as I'm a lowly student without a huge credit limit.

Jenga
    Free Member

I've just been sent a new debit card, and that has been issued under Visa, so I get protection when using it, just like a credit card. Believe that all banks are now issuing them as standard.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Don't buy from SBR/Bonthrone, I did and I regret it! Got a warranty issue with the frame and they have been shockingly bad. I've been in regular contact with them for the last 15 months regarding this issue and i still don't have a satisfactory outcome.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Yea I've just been on with my bank and will be getting a new Visa debit card as soon as possible. Maybe I've just had good luck before, but I've never previously thought about needing a credit card for that reason.
    Live and learn I suppose; Never using Bonthrone again!

spooky_b329

I've just been sent a new debit card, and that has been issued under Visa, so I get protection when using it, just like a credit card. Believe that all banks are now issuing them as standard.

Arn't all debit cards issued under Visa or Mastercard? And what did you have before, a Visa Electron?

What protection did they say it offers? A credit card will refund you if a company goes out of business after paying them, or if you are trying to get a refund and the business fails to co-operate.

njee20
    Free Member

Could've been a Maestro.

I bought some tyres from them about 8 years ago and they were dodgy then, took ages, never answered calls then eventually sent the wrong item. I couldn't be arsed to chase them up at the time!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Shops like this should be burnt down, hope you get sorted soon!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Good news – I finally got my refund today, over 2 months since I placed my order!!

I placed to order on October 3rd, Cancelled it on November 18th, and got my money back today.

I'm pretty sure both my mobile and landline numbers had been blocked (or marked to be ignored!) as the only way I could get through to them was by ringing them on random payphones and other peoples mobiles! my emails went unanswered too.

so in short, avoid. If anyone else has had similar experiences, please ring Windor trading standards; they have an investigation open at the moment and the more evidence the better. This shop needs to be closed down.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Any way of contacting Bonthrone Bikes? Do they have a communication problem?’ is closed to new replies.