Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any water/laser cutting people on here?
  • oliverracing

I’m currently planning my next carbon frame build, but just got a quote of £95 to get a few dropouts cut!

Does this sound reasonable for 10 roughly 8x6cm pieces from 6mm 5251 aluminium?

Also anyone of here got access to a laser/water cutter and want’s to beat that quote? 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds expensive. These guys have an online quote system. Upload your dxf for an instant price. Good for playing with numbers. http://www.laserprocess.co.uk Minimum order £50 but that is about what I would expect to pay for 10 bits that size. Might need to order a few more or draw up another random bit to make the order up.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sounds not far off what I pay for getting stainless laser cut. Are you providing a design ready to go or do they have to draw it up for you?

Edit – just checked and yes that’s about double what I paid for my last load of dropouts…

oliverracing

provided the dwg, it’s 2 sets of dropouts, with 2 sets of inserts into the frame, plus a set of sliding dropouts, I’ll try that link, but I’m sure I already have and got no reply!

the actual quote was £79.94 plus vat, with the individual parts being anything from £7 to £12

edit:actually that link looks like one I didn’t find

shortyj15

Oliver,

email me the drawing files and I could get some quotes for you, I work in the design industry close with this kind of thing.

For a one off it might be cheaper to get it machined

iainjagger@gmail.com

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ll try that link, but I’m sure I already have and got no reply

If you mean my link, you don’t email anything. You upload the file and and it gives you a price instantly. You can edit material, thickness, quantity, etc and the price changes. No human contact needed. You need to register but that is easy.

oliverracing

nickjb – yep I realized that hence the edit, I have registered so hopefully should get a log in sometime today, to be honest anything under £60 would be ok for a few sets of dropouts, I just felt nearly £100 was pushing it!

If I don’t get a log in by tonight, I’ll message you shortyj15, I had considered machining but the quote I got for that from a local guy was even more horrific!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any water/laser cutting people on here?’ is closed to new replies.