Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any washing machine repairerers in?
  • roper
    Free Member

For about a couple of weeks the washing machine would not start it’s cycle unless we give the door a good old slam a few time. Unsurprisingly it now doesn’t work. Would this be something easy to fix or will I just be wasting my time? I have about a 50/50 success rate of fixing or destroying things when I repair stuff I don’t understand.

matt_outandabout

I bet it is the door lock.

Go on youtube and search you model – there will be self help vids.
    Worth the cost of a lock to try…?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Agree on the door lock. I replaced mine last year, cost £7 took about 5 minutes to do.

globalti
    Free Member

You need this:

zanelad
    Free Member

Easy fix. Remove the sprung retainer for the rubber door seal, peel it back near the door lock. The lock mechanism is usually held on by 2 screws, sometimes torx headed. Remove lock, disconnect electrical wiring, refit to new lock, replace the 2 screws, the rubber boot and finally the clip.

There won’t even be time for your tea to go cold.

Kryton57

Probably the door lock. Its common that with all the closing the rattle themselves off the back of the door.

It cost me £50 call out for a bloke to put it back and add a cable tie as a permanent solution to find that out.

UncleBob
    Free Member

There really isn’t much to run-of-the-mill washing machines.

I just replaced the brushes on the motor on our “dead” machine over lunchtime today. It took the missus more time to make me a pot of coffee afterwards.

Door locks, seals, belts, motors…is all very user-serviceable. Have a go – you’ve nothing to lose because if you don’t you’re looking at a silly call out charge and £50/hr for labour or another £300 machine anyway…

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

This place is great

They have loads of self help vids and their stock list is searchable by model number so you can be sure you are getting the correct bit.

You even get a free biro with every order.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Check the price on eBay first though, I got mine from spares4appliances and was about half the price for a genuine part compared to other e-shops.

roper
    Free Member

Great! Got the door lock off without a proble. Just need to get a new one. Thanks for trig he help. (As long as it works).

roper
    Free Member

Thanks very much everyone!!!!!
    I bought a new door lock today and it has worked. No slamming of the door either.
    £15 and all done. Saved me having to go washing machine shopping and fork out for one.
    Now what to fix next?

matt_outandabout

Now what to fix next?

Wait for the main bearings to go…

Amazing what a couple of hours and a youtube video can do. I replaced the main bearings twice on our old LG – in 14 years(i think) of ownership. Now replaced by shiny new LG.

jimdubleyou

I’m all for fixing stuff if we can. I’m also happy to pay somebody to fix something if it will take him 10 minutes and me 2 hours…

However, when the concrete block tried to emerge, “Alien style” through the front of our last machine we thought best to replace it 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any washing machine repairerers in?’ is closed to new replies.