Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any VW experts on today? Long shot Q
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve tried this on a VW forum but no response yet.

B5 tdi sport AJM engine.

I’m trying to replace the sump after it was whacked and leaked after striking a sleeping policeman.

There are two allen headed bolts at the rear, which are located inside the clutch bellhousing behind the flywheel. It’s impossible even with a ball ended key to reach them.

Is there a cut out on the flywheel to allow key access? I’ve already drained the oil, so can’t really use the starter to turn the engine over to find the cut out. What is the easiest way to turn the crankshaft around slowly . I cannot get a socket or spanner on the crankshaft pulley.

Jonesy
    Free Member

Why cant you get a socket on the aux belt pulley? The black cover can be prised out of the centre of the aux belt pulley easy enough then you need a 12point socket on the bolt, the size escapes me.

I don’t think this is the way to go though as I cant see there being any cut outs on the flywheel.

I’ve never removed the sump myself but I know it’s possible without removing the gear box. Maybe just a really long allen key? Or an allen socket on an extension?

wwaswas

jack it up put it in gear and turn the road wheels (might need to do both at same time so the diff doesn’t just take up all the movement)?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

jack it up put it in gear and turn the road wheels

Good call. My brain in mince just now.

I’ve never removed the sump myself but I know it’s possible without removing the gear box. Maybe just a really long allen key? Or an allen socket on an extension?

Even with a really long ball end allen key access is frustrated by the flywheel. I’ll check the pulley cover, Just hoping there is sufficient friction between the belt and crankshaft pulley.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any VW experts on today? Long shot Q’ is closed to new replies.