Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any Trek Superfly FS owners?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What bar/stem do you use?

I know I keep asking, but I’m really struggling to figure out what I want to do with the front end of this bike.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Don’t have one anymore but swapped originals to a Bontrager “flat” bar @ 750mm wide with an Easton Haven 70mm stem
    6ft tall and fairly evenly proportioned on a Large
    Cheers
    Steve

molgrips
    Free Member

What did it come with?

singletrackmind

I fitted a flipped 90mm stem and kept the bars ,as they appear fine for the intended purpose.
    Really happy with mine, feels like its got more travel than it actually has.

molgrips
    Free Member

What bars did it come with?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    It came with a 700 Bontrager flat made out of alloy. The replacement was carbon.
    The original stem was a100mm Bontrager elite
    As an aside I also fitted 120mm forks which I think improved it no end.
    Cheers
    Steve

jonnyrockymountain

I have a zipp -25 deg 80mm stem with use atom 710mm Carbon flat bars, suits me fine

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, thanks.

Considering low risers to try and improve it going down. Bar/stem combo currently feels good climbing but not great trying to go fast elsewhere.

I’ve got 690mm flat bar with 70mm -5deg stem.

alextemper
    Free Member

Always a compromise due to the bike’s geometry. I tried a similar thing with my Trek Procaliber fitting a shorter step and wider bar. Was great going down but did it no favours when climbing with a short stem and steeper head angle combination. Out of the saddle climbing was worse with knees getting close to the bars on steeper inclines.

Need to bare in mind if you shorten the stem you shift weight back towards the rear axle and potentially make the front end even lighter and less grippy. You need to compensate with a wider bar to pull your weight back forwards but they’d only going to be a narrow window of what will work around the bike’s geometry.

I would consider an angleset and or new fork with less offset to slacken and stabilise the front end of the bike.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Instead of buying a set of low risers why not keep your current flat bars and flip the stem to give you the same result .

molgrips
    Free Member

Already running a 46mm fork instead of the 51mm it’s meant to have. Angleset is an option.

Raising the bar enough to put me in a good position for descending seems to make me feel just too high up and too far off the ground.

I may try a riser bar, or maybe a high-sweep bar. That might allow me to be more comfortable further forwards.

Instead of buying a set of low risers why not keep your current flat bars and flip the stem to give you the same result

Doing that does not give you the same results. Riser bars are generally a different shape to flat ones. I was of the same opinion as you when trying to fit a flat wide bar to my Patriot. However when I finally did fit a riser it was far better than the flat bar at the same height.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, I may have sorted it with a 50mm stem. The bike felt too short originally, so why it feels better with a very short stem I have no idea. Apparently I know nothing about bike fit after all, just tried every combination in the garage and this one feels best. Confused.

wilburt
    Free Member

Standard bar and stem but flipped and slammed. I’m no whippet, just found it too high.

standard on a large = 100mm stem 700mm flat bars.

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried 90mm with 690mm bars. Very odd.

I don’t actually know what size frame I have though.

wilburt
    Free Member

Trek do the virtual frame sizing thing so I think mine is a 19.5 virtual 18.5 or it could be the other way around.

I’m a bit of a sticker remover so that went long ago but its a large/medium as in I’m 183cm and it fits.

TBH it sometimes takes me months to get a bike right, set it up one way change it do something else until you settle on what works then sell it or stick with it for years.

taxi25
    Free Member

I use a 720mm mt zoom low rise and 70mm kcnc wing stem on mine. But going to a 120mm fork makes a real difference on the downs. I’ve got a nice Bontrager 720mm, 15mm rise carbon bar for sale £35 collected if your interested.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tempting Taxi, I’ll see how I get on with the current setup today.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sent you a PM taxi25.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve sent you a pm Mg. The bars are these ones
    https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/mtb-handlebars-c75/bontrager-carbon-race-x-lite-lowriser-31-8-15rise-handlebar-720mm-p6209
    I’ve got a matching 70mm stem as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Taxi25, those forks totally sorted out the handling problems. It always felt nervous and unstable with 46mm offset, but now it totally hooks up in corners and feels really stable and solid.

The bars have sorted the riding position too – I think I need to trim 5mm off each side, but I’m afraid to cut in case it turns out to be too short and I regret it!

Saved 1/2 lb with both too 🙂 Many thanks.

taxi25
    Free Member

My pleasure MG, pleased the parts are getting used 😀 Just keep your hands of my kom’s 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any Trek Superfly FS owners?’ is closed to new replies.