Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any tree bods in? Crown raising?
  • midlifecrashes

Here’s my front garden (and a dodgy reflection of me holding my phone).

The four limes droop badly from the lowest tier of branches in heavy rain, and in the last big wind a chunky branch (second left) snapped. I don’t want to be under another like it if it goes. Is it reasonable to take out most of this tier? Although some of these are pretty chunky they’re not high up and I could manage them easy enough without chainsaws.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup, but wait till the Autumn till you do it. Trees survive trimming better when they are dormant.

timber

There is also a school of thought that says they heal better when the sap is moving as it gets to the cut to ‘scab’ over.

Make sure not to cut too close to the main stem, you should be able to spot a shoulder where the branch joins the trunk.
    Under score your cuts first to avoid tearing.

Only thing to consider with limes is that they can put on a lot of epicormic growth, so may end up more bushy around the cuts.

Aesthetically, I wouldn’t go too far up, otherwise you’ll end up with lolly pop trees.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midlifecrashes

Ta for that, I’ll probably take out the droopiest few straight away then and save passers by on the footpath ducking when they’re wet.

supertramp
    Free Member

sounds like a plan, just cut them! by the way what are they it’s hard to tell in the photo, sycamore?

bighendo
    Free Member

..sycamore? nah i reckon they look a lot like…. limes?, 😉
    Tilia × europaea
    bottom line is chop/prune anytime that suits you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any tree bods in? Crown raising?’ is closed to new replies.