Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any train spotters in? Steam train timing Q
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s a steam loco (60009) running form Kings Cross to York then on to Edinburgh on Saturday. How do I find out what time it’ll be leaving York?

whitestone
    Free Member

This site?

kormoran
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

With Realtime trains I think you need the code for the train & the Uksteam site doesn’t give any info apart from dates, & when you go on the Rail Touring Company site there’s nothing listed before 13 May.

grannyjone
    Free Member
    CraigW
    Free Member

It is part of the Great Britain X tour. It is 9 day tour, that goes all over the place, including Inverness, Kyle of Lochalsh, Fort William, Bristol, Penzance etc. It is listed here, through they don’t give times: http://www.railwaytouring.net/travel-tours/the-great-britain-tour

Usually you can figure it out from Realtimetrains, even if you don’t know the details. Probably best to check what it lists for TOC. It seems the steam locos will be operated by West Coast Railways, so it might be listed as WR. Or it might just be listed as ZZ, which is a generic/unknown code.

Maybe the times aren’t published on Realtimetrains yet. Worth checking again over the next couple of days, to see if it appears.

garage-dweller

Union of South Africa?

That it?

Edit…

Balls sorry should have read the op he wants the times.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I only need to know so I can plan it around the Tour de Yorkshire going through Ripon. Do I see the tour 1st then go & watch The Union of South Africa or vice versa?!

njee20
    Free Member

Grannyjone’s link is a week early, but it looks likely, this is this Saturday’s timings. It’s certainly not a standard path. Timings are quick though, those steam services usually take longer.

There’s nothing going on to Edinburgh though.

peajay

I’ll take a look when I get back to work on Friday.

jakey6873
    Free Member

It looks like it goes through York at 1122/1125 and the returns from Newcastle later passing through York at at 1905/1907

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

and the returns from Newcastle later passing through York at at 1905/1907

Hmm, I was under the impression it was going all the way to Edinburgh

http://www.railwaytouring.net/travel-tours/the-great-britain-tour

but I know these companies change itineries all the time for various reasons 🙄

All i want to do is watch the bloody thing go past at a local viewpoint!! There must be some nerdy forum where people know these things? (but no-one on here would dare admit knowing about such a forum) 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Where are you?

Realtimetrains lists all services on the working timetable, the link I posted is the only remotely plausible one.

CraigW
    Free Member

Looks like it is listed now:
    Kings Cross to York, arrives 1221. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50544/2017/04/29/advanced
    York to Edinburgh, departs 1459. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50543/2017/04/29/advanced

Apparently it will be 60103 Flying Scotsman to York, then 60009 Union of South Africa north from there.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s far more like it for timings, now booked at 75mph max too. Interesting it wasn’t on there earlier.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

driving from wells-next-the-sea to cromer on Saturday and the local steam train passed right over us on a small bridge as we went under it, couldn’t have timed it any better!

peajay

The timings above look right, there is also empty coaches moves that look like they will be to do with the steams,
    5Z74 arr 13.18, dep 13.22
    5Z68 arr 14.06, dep 14.07
    5Z69 arr 14.51
    And loco move 0Z70 arr 15.24, dep 15.28
    All timings for York.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Pacific Class – my favourite 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

No, its an A4 class loco. Pacific describes the loco’s wheel arrangement. 4-6-2 = 4 on a bogie at the front, 6 driven wheels (3 each side) and 2 wheels under the cab.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks all!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

ARSE!! The Bloody Union of Bloody South Africa mustv’e conked out, cos we waited 35 mins for the bloody thing only to see the actual train go past hauled by a bastid diesel!

All was not lost though (as far as the afternoon was concerned) We sped to Ripon & saw the Tour de Yorkshire go past. 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any train spotters in? Steam train timing Q’ is closed to new replies.