Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any tips for seating a tubeless tyre?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Evening folks,

I’m having a bit of a nightmare at the moment trying to seat a 650b Panaracer Fire Pro onto a Spesh Roval Traverse rear wheel.

I’ve got the tyre on and taken the pressure up to 60psi then spun it round fast, but it keeps leaking out latex in fine streams round a fairly large part of the circumference of the wheel, more on one side than the other. It’s also not sitting straight.

I’ve tried breaking the seals and starting again, and I’ve tried rubbing washing up liquid round the rim first, but it’s just not playing nice. 🙁

Any tips?

Liftman

Put a tube in and pump it up and leave it for a couple of days then try again tubeless.

nixon
    Free Member

As Liftman says put a tube in see if that seats it, with a tube in you can “massage” the tyre a bit which can help it click into place. If this works then endeavour to only unseat one bead when removing the tube, then try again tubeless and hopefully you’ll be there.

kermit
    Free Member

It is does actually seem to be holding fairly decent pressure when it’s standing still. It’s just when I make it move, either by spinning it or riding it that it seems to lose sealant and ultimately pressure. Would fitting it with a tube help, given that?

cchris2lou

turn the tyre inside out and leave it for a few hours . then try again .

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If you’re doing this outdoors try it indoors, warmer. Also, persevere. That sealant will be slowly filling the gaps even though it appears to be piddling out.

nixon
    Free Member

Also I’d say 60PSI is a bit high to be leaving it at in my opinion, at least first of all while the sealant is still getting into place, with that kind of pressure it might well just be pushing the sealant out before it gets a chance to plug the gaps. Pump it to that to get the beads seated sure, but then I’d recommend dropping it to 35-40ish.

kermit
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ve taken it off now, and will leave it inside out overnight, then try again in the morning – the joys of working from home! 🙂 – and drop to 35 PSI once it’s seated.

As for Glasgowdan, I’m a Southern softie!! I don’t mind riding in 4 degrees and drizzle, but there’s no way I’m changing a tyre in it! I’m very firmly ensconced in the kitchen, much to my wife’s delight! 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any tips for seating a tubeless tyre?’ is closed to new replies.