Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any tips for fitting a crank through a KCNC bb without breaking the top hats?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I can’t fit my Shimano cranks through the KCNC press fit bb I have fitted without demolishing the flimsy plastic top hat bushes that sit in the bearings.

Anyone got any ideas?

iain65
    Free Member

I am having exactly the same problem, does anyone know how to do this and also buy spare bushes as mine are now broken 🙁

Thanks,

Iain

mtbtomo
    Free Member

In the end I used an old bb cup face to face with the new one as a way of holding the top hat in place whilst pushing the shaft through the bb cups in the frame.

rickon
    Free Member

I should have some spare ones, pop me an email and I’ll send you mine in the post.

The only way is to pop a little thin grease on the inside of them, and pop them onto the bb bearings, thread the crank through and on the other side hold your two fingers in a v, holding the top hat in place, while pushing the crank on.

iain65
    Free Member

mtbtomo – thanks for the advice

rickon – that would be utterly brilliant, I’ll send mail.

Thanks guys, Iain.

poonprice
    Free Member

Try Clee Cycles i’m pretty sure he is one of the main KCNC distributors for the UK and is also a helpful chap.

Usually you get a couple of spare cups in the BB box? have all these broke

iain65
    Free Member

Thanks poonprice, I had spotted Clee but did not realise they were the distributors.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any tips for fitting a crank through a KCNC bb without breaking the top hats?’ is closed to new replies.