Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any tips for………..
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Keeping the draft / cold out from ill fitting sash windows in a rented property.

The sash window in my room is to put it frankly rubbish and doesn’t fit the frame awfully well, is it worth getting some of that stick on draft excluder tape and sticking it all round the frame where the window fits to take up the gaps?

Also is there anything you can put on single glazed windows to make them a little better at insulating?

iDave
    Free Member

you can get a film that covers the entire frame and then you heat shrink it. try googling window film

oh, ok then

saved my life as a student….

wwaswas

eaiest is a piece of plastic sheet across the whole thing. Not pretty mind. DIY shops sell kits – some you heat with a hairdrier to tension the plastic and make it look less obvious.

you can run silicone sealan all round the sashes as well if the paint is ok as it’ll peel off in the spring.

Do be aware that anything you do like this may lead to issues with condensation though.

Thick curtains down to the fllor worked for the Victorians and, ime, are as good as any of the above.

Hohum
    Free Member

The draft excluder tape does work as long as the gaps aren’t too big 😉

However, you will need to wipe them down often when it warms up as they collect moisture and can go a bit manky.

There used to be some sort of cling film-like stuff you could buy to “double-glaze” single glazed windows. You would apply it and then heat it up to shrink it. Don’t know where you would buy it from though.

Hohum
    Free Member

Damn, too slow twice!

landy813
    Free Member
    nonk
    Free Member

we used to have a collection of small wooden wedges to tighten it all up a bit.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers guys, B&Q tomorrow it is then 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

DOn’t open the window unless it’s warm and sunny, so about June next year then, he hee

Cougar

On a point of pedantry, the word you’re all looking for is “draught” unless you’re looking for something to block military conscription or cheques from banks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I thank you 😀

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve lived in a few places like the one you describe.. always used cheap but reeeeeaaally thick and heavy velvet curtains from charity shops.. re-cycling center.. or you can steal good curtains from theatres.. churches.. stately homes etc..

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Just stuff the gaps with newspaper untill you need to open them in the summer.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Winner idea there nosherduke

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any tips for………..’ is closed to new replies.