Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Any teachers?
  • rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Workload and pressure for results for me as a Lecturer are ridiculous and almost crippling.
    It’s sometimes a bit like trying to squeeze a 4″ turd through a 2″ bumhole! 😕

Having said that, i’ve been earning every day this week which is more than can be said for the blokes on site i used to work with.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

With regards security, good luck getting into FE at the moment as staff cuts are in full swing.
    The yearly re-shuffle/cull of management makes it a risky move to go up in the organisation as well.

Don’t go into this blind either, be very aware that education IS A BUSINESS these days probably as much as a service. 🙁 👿

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate the difference that specific classes can make to your working life and stress levels.
    I currently teach Yr10, Yr11, 6th form, full time FE, Apprentices and full cost adults from site and the differences between each group with regards behaviour, attitude to learning, motivation and ability is enormous.

barzy38
    Free Member

secondary school teacher here.
    I’m getting-out of it after about 7 years.
    if you’re in a nice school with reasonably nice kids and an organized department, there can be ok times, but overall I find the general attitude of the kids and the workload too much for me.
    every lesson; a starter, plenary, objectives, materials, tools, ppt’s, differentiation, worksheets, marking/feedback, life-skills, tracking sheets, targets, intervention, management of the class…plus all the things that you never thought of
    then answering all the emails…
    every evening I work, every weekend and every holiday, and I think I’m pretty slack compared to others, I would dread to think how much time some teachers actually spend doing work.
    obviously the cost of getting away trebles at school holiday time aswell

project
    Free Member

Perhaps schools should just concentrate on teching life skills,like reading and writing,typing, maths skills and social interaction, along with languages, not lots of media studies,religion, long gone history,and such like, perhaps more buissnes involvement and lessons on how to get a job in real life when you leave the book learning behind.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

rusty trowel – Member
    Don’t go into this blind either, be very aware that education IS A BUSINESS these days probably as much as a service.

That is spot on, and not just in the Further education sector too. Something that many do not appreciate.

The thing about teaching is that its very emotionally draining, no other job is like it in that respect other than perhaps social services. It can make you very tired very fast.

If you get a good school and a good department then its goes a long way to enjoying your job, if not then for no amount of money would you enjoy it. Its a hard job.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Any teachers?’ is closed to new replies.