Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any Synology DS Audio app users here?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I use my Android phone, via an Airport Express, to play music from my Synology Disc Station through my Denon amp. I played an album through last night, and it was fine. However, when I tried to play it again, it played the first song fine, and then the sound dropped. To get the sound back I had to pause it and press play again. Each subsequent song I clicked on would play fine, but in every case, there was no sound for the following song/s.

This happened for all albums I tried to play after this. I tried restarting my device, clearing the cache, closing the app etc, with no effect.

Any ideas?

alanf
    Free Member

I do use DS Audio direct to my amps (Denon) but I’ve not experienced anything like this. It’s not something to do with the volume on the phone is it?
    when I’ve connected DS Audio to the amp via the phone I’ve found it easy to mess up the volume through the phone so it’s really loud or off. Other than that I’m not sure though.

mikey74
    Free Member

when I’ve connected DS Audio to the amp via the phone I’ve found it easy to mess up the volume through the phone so it’s really loud or off. Other than that I’m not sure though.

No. This happens without me going anywhere near the phone: It’s fine for one song, and then as soon as that song finishes, the sound disappears.

ji
    Free Member

I assume you’ve tried the Synology forum? I don’t use DS audio – there are plenty of other apps that can play from the NAS without synology’s slightly flaky software. (I use Kodi from an amazon fire box, and Google Play music from my phone…but with that last one you need to upload everything first to Google, which takes a while, and there is a 20,000 song limit I think)

deadkenny
    Free Member

I use a Squeezebox connected to my amp and it streams off the DS using the Squeezebox Server, aka Logitech Media Server (there’s an app for it on the DS).

The Logitech Media Server also has DLNA support, as does I think the built in DS server (which isn’t as good in my opinion). All you need is any app that can play from a DLNA source. Possibly the built-in music app will do it.

Or any media player gadget to connect to the amp that does the same. Squeezebox is just one example and a bit expensive. Can get many cheap gadgets to do it. Rather than having to connect your phone that is.

mikey74
    Free Member

I already use an Airport Express.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t know much about the Airport, but being typically proprietary it’s forcing you to stream from DS to the phone to the Airport to the amp. Other gadgets can skip streaming through the phone because they support DLNA out of the box so connect direct to the DS. Just saying that as it might be the phone that’s causing the problems.

Are you using the Synology DS Audio app on the phone then? I didn’t think it supports Air Play on Android, in which case you’re using another app to do that as well? Again, lots of steps in the chain which may be causing issues.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yep: DS —– Phone w/DS Audio —— Airport Express ——Denon amp via stereo RCA cable.

It’s been working fine, mostly, up until now. I did wonder if my recent upgrade to Marshmallow may have had something to do with it, but I can’t find any info on that being an issue.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Why do you need DS Audio? My Denon AV amp can play music files direct from my Synology Diskstation without requiring DS Audio. I can stream from the Diskstation to my PC using Winamp and the rest of the house accesses the Diskstaiton through Sonos

mikey74
    Free Member

Because my amp is an old, non digital one and doesn’t have WiFi or bluetooth.

Kamakazie

If you can’t get this fixed, a cheap option would be a RaspberryPi running Squeezebox or Kodi streaming direct from your NAS.
    You can control the Pi with a number of very good apps on Android.

mikey74
    Free Member

Electrics is not my thing so a raspberry pi is not a good idea.

Kamakazie

FireTV box or stick works well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any Synology DS Audio app users here?’ is closed to new replies.