Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Any surgeons or anaesthetists on here… Quick Question
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Are there any surgeons or anaesthetists on here.

Got a pretty big op next week, problem is I won’t see my surgeon or anaesthetist till the day (still have not had a pre op yet) so trying to get some information to ask them before the day. Basically every anaesthetic I have had causes major pain in my arm, its like my veins are on fire. I know they can put something in before the anaesthetic to stop the pain. Any idea what it is? Just want to write it down with my other 50 questions, otherwise I will forget until it’s too late!! I have tried google but there are millions of answers!!

Any advice appreciated

cheers

Flaperon

Chatting an an anaesthetist about this a few days ago. She said that she usually puts local anaesthetic in first so you don't feel anything as the proper stuff goes through your body.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    beamers

Is this the start of another Picolax style thread?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Diamorphine.

Mmmmmmmm…………..

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Cheer flap, you had the answer it was a simple one (local in 1st) think I was trying to search for something too complicated.

brooess
    Free Member

Do you not have a contact number from the hosp? Call them and tell them to tell the anaethetist so they can prepare appropriately?
    Hope op goes well. And don't forget that afterwards comes the morphine 🙂

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Its a tad difficult, ive changed surgeon just yesterday as mine has to leave the country.. no deal as I am now under the UK's number 1 spine surgeon so good news in a way, my pre op was cancelled and wont be done till next week and for the time they dont have a list of the people scheduled for the op.. bit disorganised but ho hum! but I have a nice list of questions to ask when I do see the surgeon and anaethetist on the day, just pre-preparing as it were and making sure I ask the right questions!!

think im going to need a lot of morphine for quite a while

Macavity
    Free Member

Morphine makes you constipated. You have to go easy on the stuff if you ever want to deficate again.

wwaswas

I found when I had morphine for a broken hip it made my veins all tingly and the ones on my arm went all red.

and then I really didn't care anymore.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

last time I was in hospital my self service morphine button broke and I managed to OD 🙂 that was a great night sleep.. I think

benjamins11
    Free Member

alot of anesthetists will flush their venflons (plastic things that go in you vein) through with local anaesthetic (lignocaine) solution for that reason. you can also ask them to mix a bit of lignocaine in with the Propofol (the white stuff that sends you to sleep) to stop it hurting so much.

the other option is to just MTFU

DrP

As above.
    Propofol is iritant, so many either use separate or mixed local anaesthetic.

DrP

Macavity
    Free Member

Question one: how are they coping with MRSA?

ratherbeintobago

Basically every anaesthetic I have had causes major pain in my arm, its like my veins are on fire. I know they can put something in before the anaesthetic to stop the pain.

That'll be the propofol, which is, as has been correctly identified above, the most commonly used IV induction agent. It is quite irritant to veins, but some people don't feel anything at all while others feel excruciating burning pain.

Some of my colleagues do put a little lignocaine (a local anaesthetic) in but TBH it's not universal practice & it's doesn't seem to make much difference in my experience.

Dr Andy FRCA.

wwaswas

doesn't seem to make any difference in my hands.

you should try it on the patients 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember a hernia repair I had once. In pre-op, they said they'd give me a general for the op and a local at the same time to help with recovery. I went into theatre and she came at me with a massive needle. I reminded her that they werre going to know me out first and then administer the local. She said it didn't matter which way around they did them. I pointed out that while it didn't matter to her, it did to me!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

the other option is to just MTFU

beleive me the pain from the white stuff in my case is unbeleiveable, It feels like my veins are going to pop, ive never screamed at pain; but that made me a few times … last op I had they did put something in 1st and it stopped the pain totally..

cheers for the reponse guys, its just what I needed and i do remember the name lignocaine from last time now you mention it! im a complicated pain in the butt for them, also need to tell them about my loringo spasms.. I forgot last time 🙄

ratherbeintobago

also need to tell them about my laryngospasm

Yes, they'll want to know about that.

Andy

samuri
    Free Member

Got a pretty big op next week,

You might want to get some urinal action in before you get those bits lopped off, for old times sake.

benjamins11
    Free Member

I was only joking when I said MTFU, no sense being in pain if you don't need to be.

hels
    Free Member

Laughing a bit remembering post-op elimination issues from morphine based drugs. It wasn't funny at the time, I stopped taking them for a couple of days to clear the back-log (sorry). Took red wine for the pain worked surprisingly well. All a bit Trainspotting for a while there, was living in Leith at the time.

So anyway good luck with your op, hope it goes well.

scaredypants

how long ago did you have your previous anaesthetics? – might have been thiopentone? (that stuff can smart a bit !)

ratherbeintobago

how long ago did you have your previous anaesthetics? – might have been thiopentone? (that stuff can smart a bit !)

Thio is still used quite a lot and can be painful on injection but usually it's pretty painless; it's almost certainly been propofol that's cause the burning you describe.

Andy

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

think it was around 14 months ago last time….. I had 3 ops on my wrist, 1st time they used local 1st, 2nd time they did not and by god I can still remember the pain now…… it was worse than the pain of shattering my wrist. Oh well none of this will be as bad as a few months of day time TV..

LardLover
    Free Member

Ask the gas man to give you Thio instead.

ratherbeintobago

Ask the gas man to give you Thio instead.

Not quite that simple though, is it?

Burning pain in arm at induction vs. hours/days of barbiturate hangover; antiemetic effect of propofol; lack of depression of laryngeal reflexes (in a patient who has previously had laryngospasm, though he hasn't said whether that was on induction or emergence) with thio, which may be important depending on what airway control is required (LMA vs COETT).

You will be seen by your anaesthetist on the morning of surgery. As everyone's technique is slightly different, only the anaesthetist actually giving your anaesthetic is in a position to discuss what they think is the best option.

Andy

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Any surgeons or anaesthetists on here… Quick Question’ is closed to new replies.