Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Any subscribers of Cranked on here?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Finally got round to signing up with a lure of a teeshirt so looking forward to the read anyone else subscribed or bought a copy recently?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I subscribed at the London Bike Show. Drawn in by the free T and seeing a load of familiar names (though not as writers) were writing articles. Happy so far but as it’s published quarterly I have only seen the one I bought at the show and one subscription copy

coomber
    Free Member

Yes from kick-start era and renewed.

Great mag

tomhoward

Kickstarter here, forgot to renew, renewed and bought missing back issues.

‘Sgood

colournoise

Yup. Worth the subscription IMO.

But I’m a sucker for nice photos…

marksnook
    Free Member

Subscriber here as Well, very well put together and i do like a nice photo. Missed out on the free shirt though!

goby

Subscriber here too, great mag, love the articles & photos.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Yep from Kickstarter. Great mag. Looking forward to Sender.

STATO
    Free Member

Yup, subscribed at kickstart. Was toying with cancelling as dont really read it now but do appreciate an occasional flick through. However direct debit went out before id though about it.

So I cheekily asked for a t-shirt, since they are offering them to new subscribers, instead got a sob story about how its hard to run a magazine and they cant give out gifts to existing subs but can afford to do it to draw new people in.

I appreciate the purpose of an incentive is to draw people in but you’ve no idea how many of them will actually stay. If an existing sub (who has been a sub 3 years) asks for a measly tshirt then maybe you could just give one out as a thankyou?

I suppose sticking to your principles is proably the right thing to do since they cant afford a £2 tshirt when they need to pay for a full restoration and custom graphics of a vintage VW van.

So ill be getting another 3 issues but already cancelled D-D so wont be continuing.

sebcranked

Hi Stato,

We’re not in the business of pissing people off, but we certainly seem to have managed that with you. I count that as a fail on our part. This might explain our position a little better.

Rewarding loyal subscribers and attracting new ones is a tricky balancing act that all print mags struggle with. We won’t always get it right. However, Cranked is in it for the long haul. Pointing out that setting up a new print mag and getting the sums right isn’t simple really isn’t a sob story, it’s a statement of fact.

We really don’t want the t-shirts (which, incidentally, cost considerably more than £2) to be a distraction. Independent print is going through a bit of a renaissance and Cranked is part of that. The mag speaks for itself; we aim to offer good value and we appreciate every single one of our readers and subscribers. Because without them, there’s no mag. It’s that simple.

Seb

kayla1
    Free Member

We subscribed from the kickstarter thing too (we were there in the beginning, maaaaaaaan…) and re-subscribed when it came up. It’s a good read with a nice mix of stuff in it and I look forward to the (hypothetical cos the postie knocks on the door) ‘thunk’ on the doormat. I’m hoping Sender will be as good as well and not trying too hard to be rad and gnarly for the kids.

STATO
    Free Member

Hi Stato,

We’re not in the business of pissing people off, but we certainly seem to have managed that with you. I count that as a fail on our part. This might explain our position a little better.

I know, you published that after i asked and you said No on facebook.

text from your link…

This is why, when someone says to us “I’ve been a subscriber for x years, can I have a free t-shirt too?” the answer is “sorry, no”.

We’ve even had threats to cancel subscriptions if a free t-shirt isn’t forthcoming. The answer is still the same. And that’s because, if we handed out a t-shirt to one disgruntled subscriber, we’d have to do it for everyone. Suddenly, we’d have spent thousands of pounds on t-shirts and our special offers wouldn’t be special any more.

I didnt threaten to leave, id already paid and just thought that you might offer a tshirt as i could easilly have left and resubscribed to get the tshirt.

Im of the opinion that if you offer a special to new subscribers and actively exclude existing then you are accepting that it will be abused as above. I didnt try to work the system and instead asked, you still decided to say no. Your choice.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Expecting a ‘brand new customers only’ t shirt (or any other offer) when you’re already a customer is unrealistic. The T shirt is to help undecided potential customers over the line.
    My broadband provider is offering a tenner off per month for 12 months for new customers. I don’t expect them to knock me a tenner off as well.

wwaswas

I’ve subscribed since the kickstarter well worth it.

Every mag I’ve ever subscribed to has had offers to lure new punters, I’ve never expected to receive them as an existing customer.

JoB
    Free Member

you should have worked the system and then you’d have got your free t-shirt advertising a magazine that you don’t really read any more

twistedpencil

STATO have you considered that you’re not the only subscriber to ask for a tee?

Magazines have been doing this for years, some of them it seems it’s the only way they attract subscribers.

I got lucky after getting issues one and two was going to subscribe then the tee offer sprung up for issue three and I was snared. I don’t expect any more freebies, I didn’t buy because of the tee, I bought because I like the mag.

Hoping Sender is equally as good, life will then be balanced again after the demise of dirt in print form…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Stato: unsubscribe, wait for the tee offer, then resubscribe. Play the system man!

Or just buy one: https://www.cranked.cc/product/cranked-t-shirt/

Edit:

you should have worked the system and then you’d have got your free t-shirt advertising a magazine that you don’t really read any more

😆

sebcranked

Hi Stato,

If you took the ‘we’ve even had threats to cancel subscriptions’ line as being aimed at you… it absolutely wasn’t. No offence intended. You weren’t the only one to have complained about the free t-shirts offer and the blog post was a response to what had become a recurring issue, every time we run an offer.

The first time we ran the offer there wasn’t any small print at all. It was abused, so we started adding conditions. I’d much rather we didn’t have to, but what can we do? You yourself say ‘you are accepting that it will be abused’. Well, no. I’d rather that wasn’t the case, but it seems we have to draw lines around the offer to protect the mag. No profit, no mag. It’s a simple proposition and no different from any other business.

We want subscribers to stay with us because they like what we do, not because we’re bribing them to stay. I’d hoped the blog post would explain the reasons why. It seems you were on the verge of cancelling anyway; we’re sorry to see you go and appreciate your support up to this point.

All the best

Seb

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

My broadband provider is offering a tenner off per month for 12 months for new customers. I don’t expect them to knock me a tenner off as well.

No, but we’ve seen out here itself where people have called SKY etc to cancel basis new offers and SKY have then given them a discount or the new rate. Happens all the time. Not saying that Cranked should do the same, at the end of the day the decision itself lies on the provider taking into account cost/benefits etc

Rubber_Buccaneer

T-shirt is rubbish anyway, mine has one of the letters the wrong way around 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

I asked for a free tee and was told “no, sorry” as well. It doesn’t matter. I’ve got loads of t-shirts and was only being greedy for MOAR STUFF. I’m not bitter- it’s still a great read (the mag, not the tee. That’d be over pretty sharpish cos it only says ‘Cranked’ on it…) and I’ll re-sub when it’s due again.

STATO
    Free Member

If you rang them on renewals time i bet they would, just like insurance isnt it, you get a better deal if you ask.

JoB – Member

Its a nice looking shirt, better than the crappy mbuk one i got a while back when i subscribed to let me read that sheep comic thing 😆

Mark

I wrote this back in 2012 on the issue of why we give out free gifts to new subscribers.

http://singletrackworld.com/columns/2012/10/subs-deals-what-are-we-playing-at/

kayla1
    Free Member

Its a nice looking shirt, better than the crappy mbuk one i got a while back when i subscribed to let me read that sheep comic thing

Did you get a key ring as well? What? 😆

sebcranked

people have called SKY etc to cancel basis new offers and SKY have then given them a discount or the new rate. Happens all the time. Not saying that Cranked should do the same

Yeah, I think Mr Murdoch may have a little more flexibility there than we do 😉

wwaswas

If you rang them on renewals time i bet they would, just like insurance isnt it, you get a better deal if you ask.

And you can move to a different magazine that has an offer on that you like.

Which is what you might do if your broadband provider said ‘no’. the thing with magazines they aren’t commodities like insurance or broadband – they’re individual, speak with a particular voice, carry content not available elsewhere cheaper or with a different offer on. And that’s why you stick with them, even after the initial offer is being used as a rag on bike chain cleaning duties or washed out and at the bottom of a drawer.

terrahawk
    Free Member

but you’re not talking about Sky (not that I was talking about Sky either – not sure why we’re assuming my broadband provider is that shower of shite), you’re talking about an independent magazine publisher with much more limited resources. Once again, you’re being unrealistic and/or stubborn.

STATO
    Free Member

Which is what you might do if your broadband provider said ‘no’. the thing with magazines they aren’t commodities like insurance or broadband – they’re individual, speak with a particular voice, carry content not available elsewhere cheaper or with a different offer on. And that’s why you stick with them, even after the initial offer is being used as a rag on bike chain cleaning duties or washed out and at the bottom of a drawer.

Or you just cancel and re-subscribe like loads of people do?

wwaswas

like loads of people do?

do they?

Specifically with Cranked or just more generally?

terrahawk
    Free Member

People who deserve soiled t shirts

sebcranked

Or you just cancel and re-subscribe like loads of people do?

do they?

Not with Cranked they don’t.

But if it became a problem… that’d be another bit of small print that would have to go in, that I’d rather wasn’t there. Please don’t say I have to explain why… 🙄

rossburton
    Free Member

Getting back to the topic: happy long-time subscriber, neatly filling the void left by Privateer, and I even bought the awesome tee.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m not entirely sure what your agenda is STATO.
    You asked for something you’re not eligible for, received a reasoned response saying no and explanation of why from not one, but two, independent magazine publishers, and now you’re advocating abusing the system.

I think you should be reaching in your pocket and BUY a t-shirt from Seb after all this kerfuffle you’ve caused

BruceWee

I remember when you used to get hoodies, record bags, and DVDs for subscribing. In fact, you used to get stuff just for buying the mag. I’ve still got VHSs of Dirt and Mud Cows kicking about somewhere.

I’m not sure if that means profit margins were bigger back then or if there was more competition between mags to attract readers.

STATO
    Free Member

I dont know why you lot are getting so worked up. Seb stated they offer the tshirts as insentive for people who are on the fence, i was on the fence, asked for a t, didnt get it so now on the not subscribing side of the fence. I might sub again when this one runs out in Feb but who knows. Its an enjoyable mag but i dont read mags as much now.

I had a ‘P’ until a few months ago as though it liked supporting STW i wasnt getting any benefit as i didnt read the free pdf mags and couldnt stay logged in so was still having to put up with ads, so dropped it.
    I signed up to Kranked early and went happilly into a 2nd sub (yes there was a tshirt offer then and i didnt ask or cancel-resub) so obviously valued it, but times change and people change, and i dont value it as much now.

Different people apply different levels of value to things, is that not acceptable?

sebcranked

‘m not sure if that means profit margins were bigger back then

This ^^

wwaswas

I’m not sure if that means profit margins were bigger back then or if there was more competition between mags to attract readers.

how many of the mags who gave you those freebies are still going in print?

I look at the circulation figures on MBR/MBUK etc and wonder how they keep able to publish, tbh.

BruceWee

I’m just trying to think. The Dirt video was definitely from MBUK. There was a few months where all the mags were giving away videos so I can’t remember where Mud Cows came from.

Mountain Bike World (did STW emerge from there?) never gave away anything because they wanted to stay above that kind of thing. They also wouldn’t run those adds from mail order companies that were just two pages listing their inventory and prices.

The hoodies and DVDs were from Dirt but I’m not sure if that’s what led to their demise.

Edit: maybe Mountain Bike World was actually Mountain Bike International or changed it’s name. Whatever it was called I think it was an early attempt to do what Cranked is doing.

Metasequoia

Well, I subscribe and I’m enjoying watching the magazine develop and grow! (Goes off to buy t-shirt)

brassneck

Where is this offer then? Can’t see it on the site 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Any subscribers of Cranked on here?’ is closed to new replies.