Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any STWers doing SLMM (Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon) this weekend?
  • TomHill
    Free Member

I'll be doing Carrock… kind of pleased the forecast looks a wee bit cooler, but with an early Saturday start, I was looking forward to sunbathing for a few hours at the mid-camp.

lazlo53
    Free Member

Not doing the Saunders Captain, but am entered for the Dartmoor mm, and waiting to hear about the omm. Am looking forward to the dmm as my first ever summer mm, so expecting gin slings at sunset?

rich-c
    Free Member

Yep me and my mate are in Kirkfell, I was hoping for cloudy / poor visibility as we haven't done a great deal of training and will be dropping places like mad when all the fit lads just have to run and the nav is easy.
    Looks like we will have to carry a lot more water than usual as well, still beer at midcamp 😀
    Have a great weekend and dont forget your suncream.
    Rich

TomHill
    Free Member

Entered in the OMM as well, although the South West location is a little trickier for me to get to than the normal Lakes/Wales/South Scotland locations of recent years.

Rich-I'm in a similar position… virtually no training this year, so will just have to wait and see how we get on. At least Carrock isn't too long. Don't think the legs would be up to the longer courses this year.

Ideal scenario would involve low cloud over the entire event area, with a patch of sun for the mid-camp for beer and sunbathing.

Was thinking about carrying a Camelbak bladder this year. Usually dip, and carry a small bottle, but worried about the lack of options for topping up. Will be chucking a few Nuuns in there to stave off cramp.

rich-c
    Free Member

Captain,
    decided the OMM was too far to go this year and to be honest it's not really going to be that much of a Mountain marathon down that way, much like last year in the Elan valley where it all seemed a bit of a procession. Have you thought about the RAB? I did that last year as a solo but with mates running in pairs as well and had a great time, no where near the size of the OMM, less trains of people distracting you from your route. I would heartily recommend it.
    Camelback/Platypus bladder jobby for us as well I dont think these couple of days of showers will have done anything to the water levels and yes plenty of Nuun tablets to stop the chaos caused when your legs cramps up in a small tent with two guys in it plus a brew on the stove! Never get any sympathy off my mate when that happens.

Gin slings at sunset eh there's an idea.

TomHill
    Free Member

Rich – agree about the OMM last year, although we had a v late start, so it did us lots of favours. Virtually no nav decisions, other than a quick check of map and compass meant we were 3rd overnight (C Course)… last few years we've been more like top 20. Reality was restored on Day 2 as we were in the chasing start, knackered from all the running on Day 1, and had to slow things down to make sure the nav was bang on.

Not done the Rab, but have done the LAMM a few times. Proper mountain country normally – but also means long drives and a day or 2 off work,

tragically1969
    Free Member

I am meant to be doing it but my partner is not too well, still all up in the air, doing Carrock too.

Its put a fair bit fo rain down overnight and the rivers are up so expecting a bit of water kincking about.

ajf
    Free Member

Was meant to be doing it but known for a while that I probably won't. Knackered ankle means no runnning for mee.

So if anyone is interested in Klets entry then let me know? no partner needed.

I also 2nd what was said about the Rab! Best one out there for numbers and competition. Also the prizes are cool and I got a wicked jacket out of it for winning.

tragically1969
    Free Member

😯 Klets, no thanks !

TomHill
    Free Member

Another "no thanks, no way, never" r.e. the Klets.

How did everyone get on then?

Had an inauspicious start – a few lessons:
    1) Make sure you are walking to the start, and not in the wrong direction. Somehow thought the start was up by the reservoir and trotted off, merrily on our way. Didn't even click that no one else was walking that way. Realised eventually, ran back to the actual start, and set off, feeling a bit flustered.
    2) Which may have partially contributed to our Chucklebrothers-esque navigation to our first checkpoint. 15 mins wasted already! At least attempt to take a frickin bearing and think before running off.

Rest of the day relatively smoothly, and got to mid-camp at around 1pm, with loads of time for sunbathing, drinking beer, and chatting. What a beautiful mid-camp location. Reckon that only LAMM 2005 (Glen Tilt) was better out of the locations I've been to.

Somehow managed to (just) sneak into the chasing start, so early up on Sunday. Was dry when we set off, but rain started coming down consistently and heavily once we reached high ground. Happy with all our nav until a long leg between CP4 and 5. Somehow ended up North East of the CP, and a little lost frankly. Finally reoriented ourselves, but looking at the splits, it cost us 30mins. Frustrating, and all the standing around led to us both getting pretty damn cold. No dramas for the remaining check points, and wolfed down WIlfs in quick time. Took forever to warm up though, and went to bed with temperature last night. Felt fine today, so reckon it was just a combo of tiredness and allowing myself to get too cold.

rich-c
    Free Member

Had a great weekend with very contrasting weather between Sat and Sun caught a little sunburn on Sat and drenched on Sunday, we were never going to be placed very high this time as other comitments and injury niggles prevented any sort of training schedule so Saturday was mainly a brisk walk but with the odd bit of jogging! Got a blister on my heel within an hour or so of starting which just got worse over the weekend but the rain and wind took my mind of it on Sunday, were strangley enough we were running faster and longer I think my fell shoes work better when soaked through.
    Lovely overnight camp but felt sorry for those with a later start who arrived to find no beer left, our day two start was straight up the side of Sledale fell and I know day two starts typically send you up something steep to get you warmed up but that was V steep.
    Thankfuly the niggles I have been having with my Achillies didnt play up so I need to get some traiining done ready for the RAB as a solo.
    Well done Captain on getting into the chasing start did you manage to stay ahead of everyone behind you or overtake other teams?

Rich

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any STWers doing SLMM (Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon) this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.