• This topic has 98 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Any STW serving Police Officers?
  • dt5714
    Free Member

Get a pair of nice gore-tex Matterhorns issued thanks to my posting. Toasty warm in the snow 😛

Anyway this is a MTB forum and Magnums/Matterhorns don't take cleats and they don't have a stealth sole so they are obviously no good!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – any of you wear those stupid pointy helmets?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

any of you wear those stupid pointy helmets?

Oi TJ …….you're spoiling this thread with your childish comments 👿

walla24
    Free Member

Love to joint the ranks after i graduate, heard its a proper fight to get in though! any tips folks?

should have a degree and looking to become a spec. Constable to help my chances, but anything else i should/can do?

cheers

TheSanityAssassin

TandemJeremy – Member
    So – any of you wear those stupid pointy helmets?

Probably not – if you search through all the peer-reviewed research on Wikipedia ( 🙄 ) no doubt you'll find that they cause shed-loads of rotational injuries when in common use queueing in the local takeaway or something…

dyna-ti

excellent thread,a chance to ask police type questions 😀
    The pointed helmet you wear.Was it originally designed so you could stand on it,to give yourself extra height to look over garden walls,factory gates and the like.
    I'd read something like it in a book written by an Ex-cop from the 50's,cant remember who but it was an excellent read full of humour and horror[in a humours sort of way 😯 ]
    one of his stories was of a call he and colleague went on.
    Seems a resident hadn't bee heard of for a couple of day[like that back then]he arrived and after noticing a smell decided to break in ,the flat was a top floor so the only way in was a tiny skylight above the door.
    He gets in and drops to the floor,it house is in complete blackness and he has a dodgy torch with weak batteries.The corpse was propped up against the front door and was obviously dead and by the blood he could see by his weak torch light ,had been attacked if not murdered,but as it was pitch black thats all he could make out.
    He told his colleague to get help to open the door,plus the coroner etc etc,Then made his way into what he thought would be the sitting room and sat on the settee.
    while sitting there he was suddenly struck with a thought,The door was locked,the body propped up against it.The flat was on the top floor,so whoever killed the resident had either jumped from the top floor..or was still inside the flat
    He then caught sight of the man sitting at the other end of the settee drenched in blood holding an axe.
    😆 😆 😆
    Needless to say the chap was mad but not interested in hurting him,was duly arrested.
    who knows if its completely true or embellished somewhat
    But a good Copper story none the same

hora
    Free Member

Bloody 'ell. Theres a few officers on here…better not incite violence or threaten anyone! 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Well those pointy helmets have now been scrapped for the cheesy flat caps which I think make the blokes look like a character from YMCA they are horrible. .. but guess better than a BB Cap!!!
    Oh and when you walk around in pointy hat (blokes only) you get lots of "is is true that if a pregnant woman needs a wee she can wee in your helmet?" now kids genuinely believe it….mmm I don't think so!!

Walla24, what force you thinking of applying? I would suggest you arrange a ride a long. Most forces will allow you to tag along in a patrol car for a shift, in interview hey may ask what you've done and it will help. Otherwise I suggest when you get the application form through you post again on here and there's people that can assist you filling it in. It can be quite tricky to get started on it. It's about coming up with different examples and being innovative rather than writing dull obvious stuff. Good luck.

As for Detectives farting in boxes .. .mmmm we could start a huge debate here!??

Anyone on here who works in Gwent or South Wales???

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I thought they were talking about merging the forces and just having one big huge super-force? Sorry, service. ?

Been a while since I've read "Police Review" is it still about?

Coyote
    Free Member

Anyway, back on topic. Who's going to tell the rest of us what Bingo's been upto?

uplink
    Free Member

You know what I miss?

Back in my youth you could go & have a pint [or two] at the local rugby union club on a Saturday afternoon & watch a bunch of coppers beating holy sh!t out of each other

ahhh .. the good ole days 😀

easygirl

i still wear a pointy hat!

deluded
    Free Member

Uplink, funny you should say that. I was in the Met before I transferred and played football for Kensington Nic. Back then I was very naive and a little green and assumed that because we were all “in the job” it would be a gracious affair. It wasn’t. In the first game I had my ankle broken by a very injudicious tackle and in subsequent games it was as bad if not worse. It did strike me as a bit odd but inter-police games I found to be rougher than anything I’d previously encountered. I ran the line on one game and ruled for offside. One of the forwards got the right hump and had to be restrained from hitting me. In the bar after I found out he was an Inspector from Hammersmith F*S.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Deluded that's brilliant!! So did you ever get promotion whilst he was still around 🙂

mrchrispy

anyone pretended to be police just to get horas question yet?
    🙂

hora
    Free Member

mrcrispy, its something I wouldnt share on a forum- maybe over a beer. Its funny but can be misconstrued and deeply embarrassing.

Harry_the_Spider

I have. I'm suprised that poor Bingo is still the right way out.

40mpg

Its not related to this incident is it?

wwaswas

can whoever does get the question please share with the group?

hora
    Free Member

can whoever does get the question please share with the group?

I'd rather not. As I've said above, it can easily be misconstrued. I'd happily discuss it over a pint though (if that makes sense).

Pigface
    Free Member

My housemate is TVP just finished her training and is out and about. The couple of guys from her course I have met are utter gimps socially inept and just want a ruck. All the more seasoned coppers from her station have been well cool and very funny. I guess you have to get the corners knocked off.

What is scary is one of the WPC's is stunning and one is really really mad.

Made me laugh when she phoned in an incident in which happened in our street she referred to her self as "I am job"

hora
    Free Member

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah one of the WPC's is stunning blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

naokfreek
    Free Member

One of the two wheeled female coppers in The City is very tasty, may have to blatantly jump a red light on courier duties, 'to get to know her a little better'.

😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Hora ADD? 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Pigface what area you in?? wondering if I know her. ….

Pigface
    Free Member

Munqe-chick I am in Wantage.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC, also de babylon innit, posting)

pigface, "job" is widely used to refer to people within the police service by people in the service, eg. "is your missus job as well?".

IMHO the general standard of new recruits has gone down since they scrapped the residential training school system for local colleges. They did it in the name of diversity to make it more family friendly, but all thats happened is any shred of discipline or professional pride has been lost. If new recruits turn into fine officers its a credit to them personally and their peers, not the regime.

A typical example which will mean more to someone who is job was a new recruit on a scene watch for a murder. Due off at 1730hrs, called up over the radio at 1700 asking to be relieved as they were due off soon. It might sound harsh to the "outsider" but I was appalled by that attitude-if a big job is on its all hands to the pumps and you stay as long as youre needed. You joined a disciplined uniformed service which relies on dedication and teamwork to function properly. Ive done plenty of crazy-long days and theyve always been the most rewarding ones.

And if detectives cant detect it is (as someone already said) because the wooden tops already wrecked the scene and sent the offender on their way >;-)

Saccades
    Free Member

Can I ask a quick question?

I was back in the UK at xmas for the first time in ages, I was parked up waiting for the wife and nipper as they had popped into some place to buy something, when a fella dressed up as a policemen (but not quite right, had a blue ring/peak thing on his cap) ordered me to move on as I was breaking the law.

Admittedly I have irish reg plates on, but I couldn't see what I was doing was wrong (no road markings, no little plate on a pole telling me unloading only etc), got into a bit of an argument as he wouldn't tell me what law I was breaking and I didn't want to drive off and leave the wife and nipper stranded. It all ended when the missus arrived and I pretty much drove off with him in mid sentence.

who (or what) was he? and was I just unlucky or is there some new law I've missed. And are there really fake police type peaple walking around?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

are there really fake police type people walking around?

Yup.

You also occasionally get fake doctors as well ………in fact, I think there might be a few on here.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Saccades,
    That was a PCSO, I won't get drawn into a long conversation about if they're any good. But they basically do all the jobs that don't require a cop with full powers of arrest to do. So the cops can get on doing stuff that only a cop can do whilst a PCSO takes statements, holds old ladies hands when they've gone arse over tit on the ice and stuff like that not to mention trying to move on blokes in cars that might have been holding up traffic by accident whilst they waited for their wife.

Nottinghamshire Police here, currently plumeting in the finding arse with both hands national league tables despite my best efforts. 😳

uplink
    Free Member

got into a bit of an argument as he wouldn't tell me what law I was breaking

Are you telling me the police don't know the law?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQrDK9YHas

deluded
    Free Member

Munque-chick,

We shook hands and made up!

Not been promoted yet (unless you count CID!), studying for the Part 1 in March. Hopefully Part 2 will have died a death by then and it's gone to work based assessment.

hora
    Free Member

I had a word with two PCSO's riding on the pavement in central Manchester at night. One said 'we have special powers to ride on the pavement'. So….

I asked him what Precinct they worked out of… Yes… I said 'Precinct'. FFS!

Saccades
    Free Member

Matt – cheers for the sensible reply.

I just got wound up that he wouldn't answer a perfectly civil question, that I was asking for future reference.

I presume he has to call the police to get me arrested and the like?

Kato

I presume he has to call the police to get me arrested and the like?

uh huh

They can detain you until a real police officer arrives though

Munqe-chick
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Detain? (EDIT) That must be a minefield/a very fine line. So they can loosely hold a suspect but if the suspect resists/removes their grip that can be seen as assualt on the PCSO? Or does detain mean asking someone to remain with them? Then if they leave the PCSO has to let them? Or if they follow/give chase?

I'm not looking for tips! Just curious as to their powers in this area….

Ah! Same as citizens arrest?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Deluded good luck on Part 1! Me and Mr MC did it last year btu worth it. TVP have scrapped part 2 and go to work based assessment but haven't decided when I'm going to look at going for it!

Pigface … weird I used to work Didcot when I started………

Saccades
    Free Member

That would be interesting….

It would put the real policeman in a sticky situation if the PCSO (what does that stand for?) had seriously ballsed up though…

Do you uphold the law and make yourself a bit of an arse too.
    Do you tell the PSCO off and erode his authority.

I much prefer all or nothing tbh… I guess it's just a good job he didn't spot the 500kg or steel and aluminium turnings and the magnesium ribbon in the boot…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Any STW serving Police Officers?’ is closed to new replies.