Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any structural engineers in da house? Q regarding homebuyers report terminology
  • piemann
    Free Member

Just received the HBR for the house we are buying (mid 1930s 3-bed semi in Manchester) and one of the surveyor’s (many, many) findings relates to the structural integrity (I think).

He states that:

“The gable apex is distorted and bows inwards” and has given it a condition rating of 3. (needs urgent attention, danger to persons etc.).

Can someone with more knowledge than me shed any light on this? Who should I approach to see about investigating this type of thing?

Thanks

Iain

nickjb
    Free Member

Which bit is confusing? The gable apex is the triangular bit at the top of the wall, holding up the roof.

Sounds like it needs some work. It might be able to be saved with support structure and repointing but likely needs rebuilding. Quite a big job but not impossible. Will need scaffolding, what’s the access like? Either way its a job for a builder (or a very keen DIYer) so get a couple round to have a look and quote

They can and do fall down so probably best not ignored.

piemann
    Free Member

Eeeeeeeeeeeeek.

Thanks for the info. Will call some builders asap.

Iain

wrightyson
    Free Member

The top of your pointy bit of roof is leaning inwards and is at risk of falling in. Chances are it wont but some remedial roofing work and brickwork will be necessary to rectify it. This will also require a scaffold.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Just to add to nickjb’s post

The gable apex is distorted and bows inwards

could mean that the movement is on the inside into the attic rather then outwards onto the street and so may not be visible

bartesque

Probably a lack of lateral restraint of the gable wall is a fairly common problem with houses of a certain age.

Remedial ties can be installed relatively easily I would find a local structural enginner and get him to report or get vendor to carry out the work.

piemann sorry not local to you or would offer

wrightyson
    Free Member

*licks finger and holds in the air*
    About 4 grand mate 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any structural engineers in da house? Q regarding homebuyers report terminology’ is closed to new replies.