Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any standards for selling bikes?
  • matt_outandabout

The usual BSO outside Asda last week. Looking like this below.
    Customers were also wheeling out bikes finished like this and into a car.
    I went to a staff member and pointed out the problem, hoping they would react and speak to customer / change the forks round. They shrugged and said they did not think it a problem…
    Are there not even the most basic standards for selling something like a bike?
    [/url]IMAG1910 by Matt Robinson, on Flickr[/img]

nemesis
    Free Member

Simply, the answer is No.

matt_outandabout

The interesting bit is someone had gone to the effort of pointing the brakes forward – but that now means that the brakes are wrong sided.

Accident waiting to happen…

legend
    Free Member

ASDA Robroyston by any chance?

Don’t think there a BSO:9001 unfortunately

matt_outandabout

ASDA Kirkentilloch.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d share your story with Asda head office, possibly via social media with the pic.

^ Yup, a tweet with the picture directed at ASDA should elicit a response I’d think.

You could simply ask the question you’ve posed with this thread- Does ASDA have any QC standards for suppliers or their own staff who put bikes together to ensure what is sold is safe?

drovercycles
    Free Member

The weird thing is that there absolutely are standards, not least an obligation to make sure that what you’re selling is safe, and assembled correctly. If a bike shop sold bikes in this state they would – quite rightly – be lambasted.

Sadly it probably takes an accident happening for anything to be done about it.

What shocks me most is how un-trained the staff must be, if something so glaringly obvious is wrong. What else is not done correctly? In my experience most inexpensive (proper) bikes need a few bits and pieces doing to make them suitable for sale – surely these BSOs need more work than the average £300 bike (wheels truing, brakes setting up correctly, gears indexing) – if the forks are on back to front, it surely goes without saying that none of that has been done.

legend
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    ASDA Kirkentilloch.
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

So Robroyston then 😉

eshershore
    Free Member

there are certainly standards for selling a road-going bicycle into the UK market

we used to have BS6102/1 which Cytech mechanics were trained to understand, this has been super ceded by Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations (PBSR)

the bicycles in that picture are unsafe to use, and if an accident was caused, the retailer would easily be found at fault and liable to prosecution and settlement for injury / damages

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any standards for selling bikes?’ is closed to new replies.