Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any Snow at Swinley?
  • heihei

Anyone been out yesterday / today?

giantjason
    Free Member

been around the bridleways north of Reading and there is very little snow anywhere.

AdamT

I was out there last night. THere was about an inch round most places, possibly 2inches in some points. It was nicely grippy. It was a great ride.

TooTall
    Free Member

Forecast for some heavy snowfall tonight in that area – I’m that way for a meeting tomorrow so watching it closely.

cinnamon_girl

Yes to both questions!

Snow is lying but trails are better than yesterday when I experienced a blizzard. The wind was incredibly bitter and the temperature in Deer Stalker/Labyrinth seemed to be lower than on other trails. 😯

What is difficult is seeing where the puddles are, also roots are covered over. Certainly most of the single track was fine to ride.

Car park has not been gritted and would imagine that tomorrow it will be like a skating rink.

HTH.

catfood
    Free Member

Im planning on mincing round there tomorrow for a couple of hours. I reckon an extra layer or two may be in order.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just up the road in wokingham and we got nothing, slipperty as f*** though as its not been above zero in about a week!

cinnamon_girl

It was minus 1.5 degrees when I started riding. Funnily enough, I was out for a couple of hours and didn’t see another rider. Actually it was rather worrying as I was on my own …

Nearer to the Centre, I saw a couple of dog walkers and resorted to kicking my foot out at some stupid lap dog that wouldn’t keep away from my front wheel.

TooTall
    Free Member

Anyone up yet over there? Snow?

Markjbanks
    Free Member

About 4 inches, just drove past lookout

piha
    Free Member

Plenty of snow in Guildford and still snowing at the moment, we’re not too far from Swinley either. I will be out on the bike shortly, woo hoo!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m debating driving from Kingston to Wokingham this morning what are conditions like over there?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

About 4″ this morning in Wokingham, being the SE this has caused caos apparently!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m allowed to work from home I think I will 8)

Yes indeed “work” from home.

philconsequence
    Free Member

roads around the area are pretty sketchy, think they’ve been gritted ok but not enough traffic on them if that makes sense?

drove past this morning on way to reading (rackstraw road – bracknell – a329m) definitely driveable but take care and leave a gap between you and the car in front! ended up doing a top-gear style powerslide around a mini-roundabout at 3mph but in surfmatt style awesomeness i recovered and went on my merry way

drive safe people, night ride in the snow tonight 😀

cinnamon_girl

Did anyone ride at Swinley today? How were the conditions?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Worked from home today so took my lunchbreak in Crowthorne Woods, trails were fine, corkscrew was interesting, Plenty of snow but only a few inches deep so perfectly rideable.
    I took a picture but its not great:

thepurist

Was out with Mrs P this morning – did the other side to fingerbike, Labyrinth, Stickler, Tank Traps etc. Similar conditions though, everything was rideable. First tracks through the snow! 😀

cinnamon_girl

Thank you. 🙂

As a matter of interest, did you see any other riders?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Nope, just got weird looks from people walking (nothing new)

thepurist

Only people we saw were 2 walkers plus some kids on sledges near where we went in. There was one other set of tyre tracks down near the lake but that was all – plus some army types in a tent near wishmoor bottom.

catfood
    Free Member

I was planning on heading over there today but thought better of an unnecessary 50 mile round trip in this weather, so went for a local spin instead, hard work on the ss in the snow, certainly got the lungs working.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any Snow at Swinley?’ is closed to new replies.