Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Schwalbe Marathon experts out there?
  • convert

The roads around these parts (well the ones I like to train on) are proper mucky little single lanes full of potholes and debris and after a slightly frustrating puncture fest last night I’ve decided my solo road winter training this year is going to be done on slower wheels shod with tougher tyres than the Conti grand prix 4 seasons I have been using. I’ll have one pair of wheel with the faster tyres for club rides where I’d get dropped like a stone with draggy wheels and their routes are usually more secondary road based and one with a more bombproof setup for solo rides.

So, Schwable marathons – seems to be the de rigour tyre of choice for such things – but there are some many versions! I have the marathon plus version on another bike but I think they are a bit OTT and heavy for this use and don’t rate the handling with them. Then there is the standard version, “the race”, “the ultimate”, “the dureme” – the list goes on. Do any of you use any of the versions and do you rate them?

druidh
    Free Member

I put “Standard” Marathons on my tourer/commuter when the GP4Seasons were getting a bit thin and beginning to puncture. They’re not as draggy or heavy as the Plus version. Think they all come with a green punctureguard lining now?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Do you really need the tread of a Marathon? Using Marathon Plus myself for commuting, and whilst they are truly bombproof, I will be going for either a Durano or a Durano Plus next time.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Can’t claim to be an “expert” but I’ve been running normal Marathons on my winter commuting bike for a few years and they’re fine for the purpose. Sounds like similar road conditions to yours – mud and stones washed out of banks, potholes etc.

I wouldn’t say they’re too draggy, but then it’s not an easy comparison (Marathon 700x32c at 70psi on a heavyish bike with hub gear and hub dynamo vs Gatorskin 700x28c at 90psi on much lighter bike with derailleurs). The winter bike is certainly a bit slower, but I don’t think the tyres are entirely to blame.

Not sure about all the other versions, I’ve only used the normal Marathon.

Sandwich

Conti also do tyres with puncture resistant lining in them for a similar price.

TiRed

Have Marathon plus on the tandem and Airnimal, Durano Plus on the commuter (in 23c). As already mentioned, I’d definitely go for the Durano Plus for a trainer. Try and find 25C if you fancy the comfort. They are a good tyre, and mine have now been well-tested in the pothole strewn roads on the West London – Bershire border.

smoggy
    Free Member

Hi i’ve just changed from a 26′ schwalbe cityjet to a 26′ marathon racer on my commuter, it’s definately a lighter tyre with about the same “grippage” as the cityjet, bit of a “bujjer” to fit though……
    HTH

convert

Many thanks for the responses.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Schwalbe Marathon experts out there?’ is closed to new replies.