• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any rules about how close a printer can be to desks?
  • Stu_N

Just had new printers rolled out on our floor and they are bloody massive. The one nearest me used to be a slow old laser printer that no-one used. It’s replacement is vast and its about 40cm from someone’s desk at closest point and the paper sorter is really noisy. No screens/ cabinets in the way. It’s kicking out a chemically smell at the moment too, not sure if that’s because its new?

Any rules on how close it can be – its pretty annoying for me but the girl next to it is being driven demented. Already started kicking up a fuss but any back-up would be useful.

allthegear
    Free Member

Laser printers produce ozone. In the upper atmosphere, this is very, very good. In your lungs, not quite so good…

Rachel

woody2000

Bit old, but useful advice nonetheless:

http://www.docs.csg.ed.ac.uk/Safety/general/photocopiers.pdf

robdob
    Free Member

There might be a dB (decibel) level printed on it somewhere or available on the Internet from the manufacturer. Might be sound level at 1m away – you could then compare it against sound pressure level time limits for industry use – basically the louder it is the shorter a duration you can listen to it for without sustaining hearing damage.

It can be surprising how little noise is needed to damage hearing if you’re say next to it 8 hrs a day.

robdob
    Free Member
    IA

She could ask to do a DSE assessment – part of that is about the working environment being suitable. Of course if the management ignore the outcome there’s no point.

IME they are bound to act fairly swiftly on stuff like that though, in case you sue them in future I guess. My issue is desk height, I need mine raised (told so by a doctor, not just my opinion) cos I’m tall and have a bad back. T

sbob
    Free Member

So glad I don’t have to live with the perils of an office environment.

😆 😆 😆

An honest thanks for brightening up my morning with your tales of mince.

IA

the perils of an office environment

It’s not just the DSE, I end up doing desert survival training for my job too… worrying about the perils of printer noise and then scorpions…I think it’s an odd job I do someitmes 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

😆 😆 your tales of mince.

enfht
    Free Member

Most modern printers have a volume dial, make sure yours is turned down and let us know.

HTH.

vickypea
    Free Member

My desk is next to a printer and when it’s printing, it’s impossible to hear anything if you’re on the phone. Not great if you’re in a teleconference.

falkirk-mark

First world problems.

robdob
    Free Member

People are taking the mick but in reality the office environment is really bad for your health, mainly because you have to sit in the same position for hours looking at a bright screen. It’s not natural.

I’ve done manual jobs for years and never had any problems but since working in an office I’ve had a bad neck and back, and terrible skin issues from the air conned air.

I did a manual handling course once to teach me how to teach others and the guy teaching it had been a paramedic until recently. He said one of the worst back issues he had seen had been a guy who wasn’t sitting properly in an office chair, hadn’t lifted something right while sitting down – something went ping in his back and they had to inject something in his back to lift him out of the chair.

Cougar

Any rules on how close it can be

From a health point of view the risk is slight but it would vary from device to device, you’d need to consult their literature to see what they recommend.

vickypea
    Free Member

Are we not allowed to have first-world problems? Let’s face it, most people on this forum will be well-off enough to own an MTB and fortunate enough to be able to ride it rather than working as a slave in a factory, fighting malnutrition or sleeping rough on the streets.
    Just joining a thread to belittle someone’s question by saying it’s a first-world problem isn’t particularly helpful!

sbob
    Free Member

robdob – Member

something went ping in his back and they had to inject something in his back to lift him out of the chair.

Testosterone? 😕

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sbob – Member

robdob – Member
    something went ping in his back and they had to inject something in his back to lift him out of the chair.

Testosterone? [/quote]
    Wish we could all be as manly as you sbob, bet you do something proper hard and tough like a real man – lumberjack perhaps?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQOMxz-O7Sc[/video]

In all honesty though I guess you are actually just joking but it’s a serious issue, a couple of days at the wrong desk and I can be in agony, I’ve worked on industrial sites all over the UK hauling kit up and down chimney stacks and lugging it round crap buildings but the wrong office setup will hurt me quicker.

konabunny
    Free Member

First world problems.

you are the comedy avant garde and no mistake

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Wish we could all be as manly as you sbob, bet you do something proper hard and tough like a real man – lumberjack perhaps?

Close, I’m a fluffer.

In all honesty though I guess you are actually just joking

Taking the piss does not count as theft.

timba
    Free Member

Move it out into a room where no-one works and network it
    You can send documents to it, walk for miles to collect them and then discover that the paper has run out, or that someone is already printing a 50000 page document, or that it just isn’t working.
    And you walk back, cancel that job, send it to another, walk miles…

wallop

From a construction point of view print rooms are classed as hazardous spaces. The OP shouldn’t feel bad for being concerned.

Drac

I’ve worked as a Paramedic for over 20 years, I once got a nasty paper cut when loading the office printer. I feel your pain.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bet you closed the wound with superglue.

Cougar

And you walk back, cancel that job, send it to another, walk miles…

Or you get a modern system where you hit [print], walk to any printer in the building (or indeed, any other building in your company), swipe your card and collect your print job.

Drac

It resulted in a full limb amputation Stoner, my mate did it for me with his Leatherman.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any rules about how close a printer can be to desks?’ is closed to new replies.