Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any riding around Amesbury/Stonehenge ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at a few days away camping later in the year and fancy something down south, anything around Amesbury/stonehenge etc … dont mind taking either mtb or even the crosser if theres lots of bridleways ?
    Probably staying in Orcheston if that helps ?
    cheers in advance

hh45
    Free Member

Lots of tracks over the Plain, i.e. chalky, flinty double tracks and drove roads. Classic hardtail, middle ring stuff. Typical 30 mile ride will have under 1,000 metres of climbing. is some good scenery if like big open views and tank spotting on the Plain plus you can ride past Stonehenge. Some steeper woodier parts to south in Woodford valley.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@hh45 … can you ride the plain ? … dont spose you have any routes i can pinch ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You certainly can ride on the Plain, just keep to the tracks, obey the red flags and do whatever the range wardens tell you to. Also, don’t pick things up. And tanks have right of way!

As above, lots of classic open skies mtb to be had.

Routes? Sorry, can’t help there! I just follow my nose!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Thanks for that, always fancied riding the plains but never got down there … so mtb or crosser for plains riding ?

Zed
    Free Member

Salisbury has loads of swoopy singletrack, look for Monarch’s way, Clarendon, Grovely Wood routes

cinnamon_girl

Funnily enough a route that I often cycled did go through the hamlet of Orcheston. The route also takes in The Cursus, Stonehenge and Normanton Down as well as a farm shop with cafe where the bread pudding is highly recommended.

Would you like a gpx? I have loads of other routes too including crossing the Plain.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ cinnamon girl .. Yes please to any GPX routes of around them parts 🙂
    I’ve never been to Stonehenge so will have a looksy around those big stones as well

mikertroid
    Free Member

Stumpy, I’ve got a 9.5mile route that goes right past the campsite. Rode it last night….
    You can extend it past Copehill Down (FIBUA Village) to Chitterne then turn south to come back past Deptford Down Airstrip if you want a longer route.

You should have GPX in your in-box
    Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any riding around Amesbury/Stonehenge ?’ is closed to new replies.