• This topic has 37 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Chew.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Any rider with heart problems who ride, on here?
  • ton

are there any riders with heart problems on here.
    if you are, do you manage to ride offroad?
    been stuck to pootling on the road/canal for the last 2yrs, but I am looking to try some offroad riding again.
    and before anyone says it is all just riding, it aint.
    the little bursts in power needed to get over trail obsticles leaves me in a bit of a state, where as riding up a long gradual road climb is not too bad at a steady pace.

so, all you offroading cardiac wrecks, how do you manage.

ton

somebody else must be fubar on here…..shirley?

cinnamon_girl

ton – I don’t have a heart problem but a slow heart rate is part of my health condition.

I ride short distances off road, going uphill obviously makes my heart beat faster and sometimes I get wobbly. Little bursts of power are not possible for me.

Yes, it’s bloomin’ frustrating, I get upset but the important thing is being out on a bike and getting fresh air.

I now try to focus on what I can do, rather than what I used to do or can’t do. Choice of terrain is obviously important so perhaps you need to sit down with a map for ideas? Disused railway tracks come in handy and can be pleasant.

Hang in there!

spacemonkey

A mate had a heart attack back in the summer. He was never the sort to exercise other than a bit of martial arts. After having a stent and about 3 months of physio, he is now told to walk 60-90 minutes a day. He won’t ride anywhere because he’s not into it. Neither will he run. The thing most relevant to your post IMO is the fact that during his physio, even really early on, he was pushed as hard as he could go as it was necessary to work the heart and ancillaries etc. He asked what would happen if he went into CA on the spot and they said they would just cart him off to hospital 😯 Apparently the chances of it happening were something like 1%.

Not sure how much that helps. What exactly do you mean by “in a bit of a state”? Generally tired/heavy limbed? The old ticker is going off on one? Or feeling weak etc? If the former, maybe it’s just a case of you getting back in shape to attach the grunty little climbs, ie keep doing them and/or some intervals.

natrix
    Free Member

“Don’t call me shirley”

I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve, I had a valveotomy 30 years ago and will probably have a replacement valve fitted within a year or two.

Having said that I guess it all depends on how much your heart problem affects you. I don’t have too many problems riding offroad, unless I’m with a group of faster riders or it’s a really long ride. I’ve been advised not to do anything competitive like racing and over the years I’ve got used to knowing my limits.

I know I’m never going to be very good at climbing or going fast on the flat so I focus on my technique so that I can keep up with other riders.

I think that there are some other cardiac cases on here, I seem to recall a thread about warfarin……….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sing out anytime you wanna ride Tony, I’ll glady pootle with you mate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my dads had quite a few heart attacks , he has a stent in one artery and a thinning heart wall – many years of smoking and stress.

he got into riding as rehab having not cycled since his youth but always having an active job , how ever he has to be careful when its cold and that he doesnt go too far as it can knock him for 6 taking days to recover.

cheers_drive

I have occasional AF which is usually triggered by riding. I’ve had lot’s of tests and have been basically told to live with it. I can’t really help with Permanent AF but I can sympathise with what you say about the need for sudden efforts in MTB being harder to manage. I can usually struggle on for hours if it’s on the road where as I’m looking for the quickest way back home if on the MTB.
    What about finding routes with fairly gentle road / fireroad climbs but singletrack descents? Many trail centres are ideal for this.

ton

i managed a fair few uplift days, when i 1st went bad.
    might have to give that a go again, or a enduro or 2, and walk the uphill bits.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i had (have?) hypertensive cardiomyopathy about 9 years ago (ICU for a couple of weeks, within an hour or so of multiple organ failure, that kind of thing!) and although i’ve lost a load of weight and gained quite a bit of fitness since then, i’m still far from what most people would consider to be “fit” and probably won’t ever get a lot better.
    i run out of legs and lungs pretty quickly on the uphills and it’s very frustrating; i convince myself that people will get pissed off with me slowing down group rides so frequently bottle out of them.
    never gonna stop riding offroad though. it’s in my blood…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

pacemaker here. I need to warm up at the start of ride slowly (10mins) but after that its full on. Slow heart rate and arrhythmia.

You dont mention what you have been diagnosed with?

ton

pawsy_bear….i have permenant af. on long gradual climbs i am fine, but anything that requires a bit of grunt leaves me gasping for breathe and on the verge of blacking out.
    it then takes a day or so to come round proper.
    i am however a load better than i was 3 yrs ago when it 1st went wrong.
    managed a load of weight loss, and i can manage 50/60 miles on the road at a steady pace.
    just a bit scared/worried about trying a offroad ride again.

ps44
    Free Member

I’ve had slow heart beat and suffered with PSVTs for many years (a side effect of taking thyroxin is the medical conclusion), which was never serious but I was prone to episodes while exercising but things were pretty much contained by medication. It got a bit worse during this year and I have changed to a new medication which has given me a new level of performance with my heart feeling really open while exercising but left me a bit prone to misfiring while sat doing nothing. Not sure which is better !
    I’ve been tested and scanned many times and am persuaded that there is nothing structurally wrong and I’m at no real risk. Fingers crossed.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Occasional ‘flappy-heart syndrome’ here, brought on by high intensity bursts. I think it’s probably AF, although the cardiologist wasn’t so sure it was precisely this. Oh… and essential hypertension too! Woo! My cardiologist suggests I run the risk of permanent AF if I continue to push it hard when on the bike/running for long periods of time. I try to abstain… but the trouble is I seem to really enjoy pushing myself as hard as I can, for long periods, generally uphill. Hmmmph… 😕

Hence why Strava needs to be avoided – it’s probably like playing Russian Roulette for me TBH. 😐

The thought of permanent AF scares me though, so this thread is helpful. Hope you manage to sort something out ton.. 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

ton – as your suggesting general fitness weight has been an issue I would expect much of your problems are related to this rather than heart. AF is very common and can be a symptom of more serious conditions. I assume you have been to the doctor and had this checked out? If there is something wrong and only the doctor and a ECG will tell you and like in my case prescribe a fix for the underlying cause. If its just AF then it will be improved by fitness, less weight better diet.

In all cases go to your doctor first

ton

pawsy_bear, i have had 2 cardiac ablations and 3 shock to the chest things. all with no joy as a outcome.

haibikeboy
    Free Member

Thought about an e bike? my LBS is starting to sell quite a few of them. I borrowed their demo bike (i dont have a heart problem that i know of) and it was the best fun i’ve had on a bike in absolutely ages. I’d buy one in a heartbeat(sorry) if i had enough money .

ton

i bought a haibike.
    the company i bought it from where not very good.
    i sold it.

passtherizla
    Free Member

A good riding buddy of mine has a pace maker… So I guess his heart defect is sort of fixed. He gets on fine though, he does wear a protective thing over it.

Sorry to hear that, hope you get back off road.

Esme
    Free Member

Ton, what happened about all those “uplift” routes you identified? The ones with roads going to the top? I’m still waiting for my invitation!

No diagnosed heart condition (yet) – just old 😉

frankz
    Free Member

I had a heart attack six weeks ago – the night before I was due to do the three peaks! As I waved my wife off on the race I thought – I’m not very well. Went to hospital two days later where they were surprised to see me but obliged with angioplasty and a couple of stents. The week before, I had been over the Pyrenean cols with no problem. Caught a nasty virus which has floored me since but now starting back with some easy rides and runs. The plumbing work has gone well and the standard of care fantastic. God Bless the NHS (Scotland). A doctor friend thinks I’ll be stronger than ever as I’ve been running on three cylinders for a while. I do not feel that there is a need to take it easy (subject to viral bit). Interestingly, the docs were very worried by my low heart rate (36bpm) and wanted to keep me in. I told them that it had been like that for the last 30 years at least and another couple of days was not going to change it. I was clearly a bit of a puzzle to them (fit and no family history). Everyone has their own story and I have no doubt there is tremendous variation in our response and capability. I only hope that having a heart condition does not unnecessarily limit your aspirations.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Ton,

Heart Attack three years ago. Now have two stents, part of my heart is scar tissue so does not work too well.
    My technique was a very steady progression from riding on flat trails to routes I know, initially I made sure I had someone with me plus a phone as a large part was overcoming the fear of pushing things too much.

For a long time I used a heart rate monitor with an audible alarm at 140 bpm, I knew when my heart rate was going up but this told me when to back off and anyone with me also knew.

I found it was a very gradual progress discovering what your body is comfortable with, too much and my heart aches for the next day and I’m certainly far slower up hills as I don’t push my bpm too much past 140.

Now riding with a group of guys who are about 15 years younger than me, two hour off road rides that I consider hard and certainly the level of what I have done in fitter times, There is no way I can keep up on the climbs but I’m not always last and on the flat / downhills I do OK. I don’t talk much as I need the breath. Always carry GTN spray with me and a phone with emergency contact details.
    The person leading the ride knows my history but everyone else just assumes I’m unfit and old.

ton

Esme – Member
    Ton, what happened about all those “uplift” routes you identified

Esme, never got round to it. i do have about 8 all waiting to be done tho.
    just need a driver for the day.

ton

all you guys, thanks for the replies.
    you do all seem to me mended tho, which is great.
    i feel like i am stuck in limbo, wanting to ride my legs off, but unable to do so, and held back by a rubbish pump.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

AF here, mostly controlled by meds. It’s still good to be out riding, even though I chose the flatter bits.

And I’ve always been slow.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Ton,

Forgot to mention that I user rollers a lot to build up stamina which really helped with breathing and heart rate.

Has the advantage that you can accurately increase time, gearing and make small steady improvements.

Did this last year to build up for London Brighton off road and that was probably the best long ride I’ve ever done.

If you can manage 50 / 60 miles on the road you are “fitter” than most people out there, which is a big positive.

Esme
    Free Member

you are “fitter” than most people out there on here

FTFY 😀

cinnamon_girl

I’m really hoping that an InvalidTrackWorld bimble will take place next year. Spring time would be nice. 🙂

There was definitely interest last time this idea came up so it would be really nice for it to happen. 8)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Somewhere central, c-g? Cannock Chase, handy for M6?

cinnamon_girl

I really don’t mind what area but would like to avoid a trail centre after my last experience. Trail rage is not nice. 😐

ton

I am still up for this CG. Long Mynd area was mentioned, which would be ace.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve got Heart Arrhythmia otherwise known as irregular heartbeat, loads of people have it and don’t know about it.

I’m fitter than ever thanks to the cycling but I used to get really worn out easily.

It doesn’t really bother me now whilst exercising, but when I get tired in general, I get tired and can sleep for hours and hours. Sometimes I just know not to push the cycling too much when I’m feeling a bit tired or under the weather.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve got Heart Arrhythmia otherwise known as irregular heartbeat, loads of people have it and don’t know about it.

I have that, and this post reminds me I’m due a check up. I have a constantly high resting pulse rate, but it doesn’t go ‘over high’ when I ride/race or put any effort in.
    Biggest worry is having no family history to refer to.

Esme
    Free Member

Ton, YGM 😉

cameron1972
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with a mild case of Angina about 3 years ago, the result of a unhealthy lifestyle, being a heavy smoker/drinker and couch potato. I take medication – asprin, gtn in a tablet form and a beta blocker each day with a statin at night. I’m 41

After being diagnosed, I got into cycling as I wasn’t doing exercise at all and needed to loose weight and I’ve lost about 3 stone since I started. I’m not the quickest and have resigned myself to the fact that I won’t be racing, but I still get out 2-3 times a week on my bike and love it.

Get yourself some tablets from the doctor and stick with it if you can

oldgit
    Free Member

Bloody nora I don’t have Arrhythmia. it’s Bundle branch block.

ton

just to add
    some folks are reading this, as though I cant ride.
    I CAN ride, I ride 14 miles everyday, I can ride 50 miles on the road, slowly.
    I just want to ride offroad again.

had all the procedures, got all the tablets, might get the tshirt,
    AF ROCKS!!…not

Chew
    Free Member

Esme, never got round to it. i do have about 8 all waiting to be done tho.
    just need a driver for the day.

Plenty of offers for Van driving duties Tony if you have free dates.
    Believe Gav had a couple of routes in mind as well

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Any rider with heart problems who ride, on here?’ is closed to new replies.