• This topic has 30 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Any recommendations for a winter base layer?
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Or is the normal decathlon stuff ok

Kryton57

The best base I ever bought is the Craft Extreme range, the Windstopper for road. Awesome top.

dti

howies – mine seem to last forever – still wearing a 2008 vintage.

MarkE25

+1 for craft extreme with windstopper front (or without if it is a bit warmer). Noticed 18 bikes are now selling these-a top bit of kit!

iainc

Also have a couple of Craft Extreme ones and since getting them haven’t used any others. I’d echo comments about the windstopper version for cold road days.

MoreCashThanDash

Value for money wise, Decathlon are hard to beat.

I use their ski versions, as they are usually cheaper than the cycling specific ones.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Howies for me too..Endura baba is itchy as hell!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t do bike specific. I just use ski layers as got tonnes of them over the years and can reuse them for skiing. Layer up as appropriate.

shredder
    Free Member

And again Craft Extreme with windstopper front superb.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Quite like the montane sportswool base layers .. Contains merino but not itchy and doesn’t get smelly to quickly

niloC
    Free Member

HH warm freeze, not cheap at retail but I got it in a sale from a PSA on here, superb bit of kit, mix of poly and merino

coatesy
    Free Member

Been through Baa-baa, HH, and Patagonia, but the best i’ve used so far has been Mountain Warehouse’s Snow/Talus range, and they’re currently clearing them at £5.99.

fathomer

I got a Gore Windstopper a week or so ago, Amazon are knocking them out for a good price. Wore it for the first time today, seems pretty good.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

+ 1 for the HH it’s a mix of merino and lifa matterial, for me it’s a 0 and below base layer (with a windproof over).
    Can’t rate it enough, I got mine 1/2 price last year.
    Anything above 0 and a HH lifa works spot on for me.

tmb467
    Free Member

Found a craft extreme wind stopper at Evans for £20

I’ll see how it performs – cheers for the advice!

tmb467
    Free Member

And there’s a MW up the road…I’ll have a look!

julzm
    Free Member

+1 for HH warm freeze. Got an older HH warm recently replaced by a new HH warm freeze. Great fit, doesn’t smell, superb wicking and keeps you warm. I’ve been out in all weathers this winter and have yet to be freezing except when stopped for significant periods.

gringo

I use the HH warm freeze as well. Had it for a good few years now and it’s great.

lunge

Decathlon stuff is fine. However, assuming you want a proper thermal winter base layer, for less money the UnderArmour or Nike jobs from Sports Direct are very, very warm.

hambl90
    Free Member

Just ordered two of the mountain warehouse talus tops from the website with free delivery this weekend only.

hatter

Another vote for howies NBL, last forever if you look after them, I have 3long sleeves and 3 short sleeve jobbies, I live in them at this time of yeah, on and off the bike.

Tried variou other merino and synthetic ones and always come back to howies.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got to say that the Rapha (yes yes I know) merino winter base is the best I’ve tried. Fabulous bit of kit.

Daffy

mrblobby – Member
    Got to say that the Rapha (yes yes I know) merino winter base is the best I’ve tried. Fabulous bit of kit.

Ditto. At £32 in the sale, it was difficult to say “no” to a few of them.

benp1

Is there much value in wearing a windproof layer under a windproof layer?

I see the value of the layer itself, but if the outer is already blocking the wind what is the other one doing?

aP
    Free Member

I’m using, and in 20 minutes will be wearing, a decathlon thermal top. It’s as good as if not better than anything else I’ve tried – assos, Rapha, howies (waste of money, last 2 wearings before holes started to appear), craft, sportful, any merino top (complete and utter waste of money), etcetera. You don’t have to be swayed by the brand snobs, just get what you want.

Kryton57

Not necessarily true – it depends which top. I got persuaded to buy a decathlon thermal top and some bibs after reading comments here. Both mine hold onto sweat like a sponge, making me colder than when I started. I used the bibs on the turbo several times and after an hour it felt like cycling in a full nappy.

rogermoore

My go-to winter base layer is a Canterbury (the rugby kit brand) Cold Long Sleeve one. Nice and snug fit and can wear that and a Windstopper Softshell on all my winter night rides and never feel cold. Although as soon as I’m on the bike/running/hiking and get going I tend to warm up quickly no matter what the weather.
    RM.

RustySpanner

I use a Decathlon short sleeved cycling jersey with their long sleeved wool-ish top over that.
    Under an Aldi winter jacket or a lightweight Gore shell.

Works really well in the coldest weather and I just lose a layer if it’s a bit warmer.

I can’t fault any of it – it’s good value, versatile and comfy.

Tried a pertex/pile Buffalo type top?
    Great all in one solution if you’ve the cash.

iainc

Re the decathlon ones – I have one of the £7 ones, its not a patch on the Craft ones for warmth but is well made and I use it a lot in summer months.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Got a Craft Extreme top last week, always been a Gore fan but think these are better. Absolute bargain for £20!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Altura Thermocool, not cheap but I liked mine so much I bought two more and wear one even when I’m not biking (I feel the cold much more since my cancer treatment).

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendations for a winter base layer?’ is closed to new replies.